Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you write Star Trek RPGs?  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Cleopatra

• Ensign
  • Future Teacher
How do you write Star Trek RPGs?
« on: 26 May 2009 11:17 PM »
Hello everyone. As you may know, I have been playing text-based RPGs online since I was 13. I am currently Empress of the Decepticons in a Transfomers RPG. I learnt the most about RPGs from comic book forums and playing Square-Enix games. These RPGs are about individual players working together or fighting against eachother. While Star Trek seems to focus on either 1) Crew members lives 2) Epic ship battles 3) Diplomancy/Politics.

So how do you write Star Trek RPGs?
Time is the fire in which we burn. -Gene Roddenberry

Offline Della Vetri

• Ensign
Re: How do you write Star Trek RPGs?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2009 07:41 PM »
Hmmm... Do you mean PBeM or pen & paper ones?  In my experience, they tend to work a bit differently, but do have major similarities.

The PBeM one I'm in (click sig banner for details :P ) has everyone working together to basically play out the lives of their characters, which includes the various scrapes they and their ship get into.

Pen & paper... In my experience (both playing and running), this type tends to focus more on the action and adventure side of things, though players often still manage to work in their character's lives "off-stage" into things anyway :)

Hope this is even remotely helpful, but if there's anything else you want, feel free to poke me and I'll see if I can come up with a better explanation :)

A proud member of UFOP: StarBase 118 RPG

Offline Cleopatra

• Ensign
  • Future Teacher
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2009 11:19 PM »
The best way to explain the way I have roleplayed for years is to show you. This is a Transformers RPG I am co-leader of. I am Little Barda.

http://www.the-ush.com/index.php?topic=408.0
Time is the fire in which we burn. -Gene Roddenberry

Offline Della Vetri

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2009 08:06 PM »
Looks like it runs similar to the PBeM ones I'm in, and quite amusingly too from what I saw before my browser crashed :P

A proud member of UFOP: StarBase 118 RPG

Offline Ralik

• Cadet 2nd Class
    • UFOP: Starbase 118
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2009 09:01 PM »
Hello everyone. As you may know, I have been playing text-based RPGs online since I was 13. I am currently Empress of the Decepticons in a Transfomers RPG. I learnt the most about RPGs from comic book forums and playing Square-Enix games. These RPGs are about individual players working together or fighting against eachother. While Star Trek seems to focus on either 1) Crew members lives 2) Epic ship battles 3) Diplomancy/Politics.

So how do you write Star Trek RPGs?

They are wrote in the same way as it seems your Transformers one is. Ultimately everything is about the peoples lives that we play. So whether they are in a running phaser fight en route to stop a warp core breach, or sitting in the ships lounge sipping a Romulan ale, the story is about them. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Offline Kali Nicholotti

• Cadet 2nd Class
    • UFOP: Starbase 118 RPG
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2009 01:07 PM »
I like to compare the writing I have done for the past...oh...15 years or so in Star Trek RPGs to the cooperative writing of a book. In the end, you could almost paste together everyone's posts to create a real and quite saleable book with a bit of formatting work.

Basically saying - the story can go wherever you want it to go. Just like in our real lives, there will not always be an emergency, meeting with a diplomat, or lay around time. Everything has a time and place, and it is up to us as writers to include what we want in our writing while keeping the plot and storyline realistic...or at least believable.

^.^
2LT Kalianna Nicholotti
UFPSMC
USS Resolution - UFOP: SB:118 RPG