Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game developer is now trying to con people out of money.  (Read 3935 times)

Offline temp89

• Cadet 3rd Class
After disappearing when it was revealed the game used stolen assets and being kicked from moddb, the guy behind it has reappeared requesting a "minimum" of $10 donation from people for access to it.

http://stbc2.com/index.php/topic,32.0.html
http://stbc2.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html
http://www.facebook.com/stbc2

It is of course illegal to sell fan games based on existing IPs (and other people's 3d models) for profit, no matter how you dress it up.

Offline BLZBUB

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
Re: Game developer is now trying to con people out of money.
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2012 06:06 PM »
 Rage, a global moderator over there, replied to a question related to this temp89, which I will quote for you here.

Quote from: tuc84 on July 10, 2012, 07:58:10 PM
I   hope you understand, that charging money or asking for donations for   anything relating to a "Trek production" without having an actual   license, is strictly illegal, and your project may be shut down as a   result.

tuc84   if you read a little closer there word star or trek isn't used anywhere   there also a list that show what its going to and if the game does not   come out, clearly say the money will be returned. Maybe you have also   miss the fan made show that ask for donations all the times and they   been around for a bit "Star Trek: Excalibur". So stop spamming the   forums

Now understand, I am no lawyer, so take it as it stands.
Admiral BLZBUB,
Fleet Executive Officer,
Lotus Fleet

Offline temp89

• Cadet 3rd Class
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2012 08:52 PM »

And he'd have to be incredibly stupid to believe that just leaving out the words Star Trek means he can sell someone else's IP. The name is the least of his worries, using Trek ships and tech makes it an open and shut case.

Offline thelasthallow

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2013 02:16 AM »
Just to clear this up XsniperX is no longer adding Star Trek infront of the name. It is now simply Bridge commander 2 and he is actively discussing the situation with CBS to get permission to use the Star Trek name.

Also Charging money to help pay for the engine to make a fan game is a pretty normal thing to do if you don't have alot of money and their is alot of interest. 

I guess you don't realize that this is going to be a FAN MADE GAME and with little to no money to spend on the engine receiving donations to make it is the best course of action.

I know it has been a long time sense anyone has posted in this thread but all temp89 did was follow XsniperX around like a stalker and claim he was doing things wrong or this and that when really he was operating inside the law in the united states.

As to the stolen assets CBS has already informed us that when someone makes an un licensed item from the star trek universe CBS and or Paramount sill holds full rights to it. not to modder who went and made items from the univers without explicit permission.

For example XsniperX at one point over a year ago sniper was using several models from star trek bridge commander that random modelers made. when i asked CBS if they (the modelers) had any rights to said models they replied with a "no" CBS still has the rights. therefor XsniperX could use the models without the modelers permission.

But sense there was so much controversy over it (and everyone was crying like a baby) XsniperX has decided to go with someone else to get the models from and as far as i know is no longer using any models made by said (crybabies).

These are the facts and anyone who reads this should jump on over to the facebook  page and take a look around just to see for yourself just how much progress is being made!

https://www.facebook.com/stbc2

« Last Edit: 05 February 2013 02:19 AM by thelasthallow »

Offline ES_Archer

• Cadet 2nd Class
    • Elite Squad
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2014 11:19 AM »
Temp89 is probably...one of those crybabies...just saying!