Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reviews and Content Coming Soon  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
Reviews and Content Coming Soon
« on: 27 January 2017 01:13 PM »

As we head into 2017, I find myself wondering just what to do with “Hailing Frequency”.  We haven’t produced any new podcasts for quite some time now and yet traffic to the site is still high. The forum is not particularly active, yet unique visitors to the site have remained consistent so it does seem to be clear that there is some “hunger” for gaming related news and info.

That being said, the Star Trek Gaming community is still not anywhere near the highs of the early parts of this century – just one or two new games a year and nothing in the “AAA” category.  In 2017, the only slated released is “Bridge Crew”, a VR Star Trek Game by Ubisoft. Being a VR game however, it cannot become a huge hit as the VR market is still fairly limited.  I myself purchased an HTC Vive just a few months ago at a cost of around $600 dollars and then had to throw down another $1300 upgrading my computer to the point where I could run VR games at the settings needed to avoid motion sickness.

Therefore, we may very well need to branch out and review some other Star Trek products in order to keep content alive on the site. We shall see.

In the meantime, Bridge Crew is slated for release in February and I will definetly be reviewing that. I’ll see if I can figure out how to produce some videos from it too.

Live long and prosper all!

Offline BLZBUB

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
Re: Reviews and Content Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2017 07:27 PM »
 I cannot use VR, or watch anything 3D anyway, so the Occulus or Vibe is out of the question for me. That being said, I did check out the new Star Trek Timelines on Facebook. Released in January of 2016, there are plenty of reviews on it out there right now.

Star Trek Timelines is also available on Android and iOS. As a newer game it is ok I guess, as play is through Away missions and Starship Battles. Assemble crew from all era's of Star Trek TOS; TNG; VOY; DS9 and Ent; and also the movies.
 After a few minutes of gameplay I found the same grind throughout, along the lines of Star Trek Online. Upgrade ships to get better, via missions and battles. I certainly would not place a "AAA" on this title. Others may disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Timelines
Admiral BLZBUB,
Fleet Executive Officer,
Lotus Fleet

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2017 03:22 PM »
I cannot use VR, or watch anything 3D anyway, so the Occulus or Vibe is out of the question for me.

Why is that?

That being said, I did check out the new Star Trek Timelines on Facebook. Released in January of 2016, there are plenty of reviews on it out there right now.

I have played it on and off on Android.  It does get to be a grind after a bit as you pointed out.  It is a nice Star Trek themed distraction and can be mildly entertaining at points.

The same can be said for Trexels and Wrath of Gems hah.

Offline Jeff T

• Cadet 1st Class
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2017 05:42 PM »
Yeah... too pricey for most fans of Star Trek to afford considering the additive cost of game purchase, system upgrades, plus an Oculus Rift.

We need a team like Star Citizen and others who are pushing the edge on the graphics and potential play-ability expansions along with some knowledgeable Treksperts who can incorporate great character driven stories into campaigns that really embrace the philosophy of Star Trek into a game that can be immersive and continue to grow and expand over time. The technology is there to create very realistic looking games. There are a multitude of decent Star Trek novels and stories that have been written over this past half century. Why not merge them into a game series.... similar to how you would a television series; on par with something like Game of Thrones. There is a built in audience for such a product for those that are gamers and Star Trek fans. But please.... stay clear of the Abramsverse.... at least at first.
 :startrek078:
Admiral Jeff T
Fleet Commanding Officer (acting)
Command CO
Lotus Fleet

Offline BLZBUB

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2017 08:09 PM »

Why is that?

I lost my left eye back in the late '70's, so anything 3D is a waste on my monocular vision. :)

.... Why not merge them into a game series.... similar to how you would a television series; on par with something like Game of Thrones. There is a built in audience for such a product for those that are gamers and Star Trek fans. ....

Although that would be nice in theory, I am afraid that that would probably fall outside the publication guidelines imposed by CBS/Paramount.

Below is the link to the 10 guidelines, from StarTrek.com ...

http://www.startrek.com/fan-films
Admiral BLZBUB,
Fleet Executive Officer,
Lotus Fleet