Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Additional Star Trek Online Video Footage from GamesCon 2009  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
With the release of Champions Online mere days away now, you would think that Cryptic Studios entire focus would be on that game right now, however this has not been the case at GamesCon 2009 in Germany. 

Just a couple of days ago, we got a sneak peak at a new, five minute gameplay trailer for Star Trek Online and now, we have a 35 minute video from the behind the scenes, closed Star Trek Online press demonstration, where we see Executive Producer, Craig Zinkevich answering press questions about the game, whilst Associate Producer, Andy Velasquez  Demos parts of the game in the background.

In the 35 minute video, which incidently only points at about 65% of the TV Screen, we get samples of one of the first in-game missions featuring the Vulcan monestary of P'jem, as well as some space and ground combat, demos of the warp travel system and even more information about the ship customization systems.

Having watched through the entire video myself, it is definetly worth it, despite only a portion of the TV being viable, so head to our brand new "GamesCon 2009" Playlist on YouTube now to view the videos. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Due to YouTube restrictions, the video is split into four parts, however as mentioned, its definetly worth it, so enjoy folks!

Star Trek Online | GamesCon Preview Part 1

Star Trek Online | GamesCon Preview Part 2

Star Trek Online | GamesCon Preview Part 3

Star Trek Online | GamesCon Preview Part 4
« Last Edit: 23 August 2009 02:03 PM by Zach »

Offline Jatal Khyron

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Gamma Fleet Overlord
Re: Additional Star Trek Online Video Footage from GamesCon 2009
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2009 02:51 PM »
I like what I'm seeing here.

If Craig's favorite ship class is the Prometheus, then it's definitely in there. =) I liked the customization demo, the graphics issue he addressed, and the exploration system.

I really hope they do Federation cloaking devices. I still think we got hosed on that Treaty of Algeron....

Gen00b

« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2009 02:56 PM »
This was the presentation that we attended (MMOZone.nl / StarTrekOnline.nl). Pretty much all of the questions in Part 4 are from us (I've been transcribing them for our preview which will be published this week on our website).

Overall it was an awesome presentation :) Too bad there were these annoying guys that really didn't know anything about the game. The lowpoint was where Craig said something like "you can look at this and just know it's a Constitution class ship" and that guy was like really sarcastically saying something like "yeah that's just so obvious". Ah it's here from about 4:45 - 4:50. Star Trek Online | GamesCon Preview Part 3

That's me requesting some ship classes in part 4 at 0:20 and later. :p Star Trek Online | GamesCon Preview Part 4

Post Merge: 23 August 2009 02:57 PM
Some of the ship classes that they showed: Galaxy-class, Intrepid-class, Prometheus-class, Vo’Quv-class, Miranda-class, Akira-class, Constitution-class, Olympic-class, Defiant-class starships and a Klingon Bird of Prey. And a couple more I couldn't really place.

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2009 02:57 PM »
@GEN00B - Ah glad to see you guys were there! You guys got some good questions in there.

My Feedback on the Videos:

I loved seeing that we can have the original TMP constitution instead of that moderinized refit - I am not a fan of that.

The Klingon Ship was epic, The Galaxy Class was nice too though they got the deflector wrong on it.   Sabre class was awesome, so was the Akira.........

I liked seeing the space combat at is usual speed instead of sped up, same for the ground combat which looked awesome.   We also got a first look at the Ground Combat GUI too which was hot.

I am NOT a fan of the loading screens we saw. I know that its a case of some people love them some people hate them, I wont go so far as hate, but I dislike them - especially on the Starbase towards the end where it was loading almost every time you went into a new room.

Offline Jatal Khyron

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Gamma Fleet Overlord
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2009 03:04 PM »
The lowpoint was where Craig said something like "you can look at this and just know it's a Constitution class ship" and that guy was like really sarcastically saying something like "yeah that's just so obvious".

Next time some pinhead does that, put a foot up their ass. Tell them it's from me. I'll cash it in myself. God, I hate arrogant @$#%^#bags like that...

I am NOT a fan of the loading screens we saw. I know that its a case of some people love them some people hate them, I wont go so far as hate, but I dislike them - especially on the Starbase towards the end where it was loading almost every time you went into a new room.

Well, I don't think there's a person in existence who truly likes loading screens, but if they have curious bits of Trek Trivia, or perhaps hints and tips for the player that helps them 'gel' better with the UI, then that's cool. Maybe some cool concept art as well.

Or Seven of Nine in a metal bikini....

Or an Orion slave pen...

Or T'Pol draped over the Captain's chair...

Gen00b

« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2009 03:39 PM »
I've published the transcription of the final Q&A which I was just working on earlier today before I was notified of this footage. Video of the screen wasn't actually allowed in there so I'm a bit bummed out that someone did film it, be it only partially, but even more by the fact that it was put online so quickly (this session was friday 16:30). Our main preview article with our impressions will have to wait a bit (we haven't even officially launched our new website yet).

But if you would like to read the questions that we asked them and the answers they gave, please visit our temporary page at http://www.startrekonline.nl/interview.html .

Offline Amasov

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2009 03:42 PM »
This was the presentation that we attended (MMOZone.nl / StarTrekOnline.nl). Pretty much all of the questions in Part 4 are from us (I've been transcribing them for our preview which will be published this week on our website).

Overall it was an awesome presentation :) Too bad there were these annoying guys that really didn't know anything about the game. The lowpoint was where Craig said something like "you can look at this and just know it's a Constitution class ship" and that guy was like really sarcastically saying something like "yeah that's just so obvious". Ah it's here from about 4:45 - 4:50. Star Trek Online | GamesCon Preview Part 3

That's me requesting some ship classes in part 4 at 0:20 and later. :p Star Trek Online | GamesCon Preview Part 4

Post Merge: 23 August 2009 02:57 PM
Some of the ship classes that they showed: Galaxy-class, Intrepid-class, Prometheus-class, Vo’Quv-class, Miranda-class, Akira-class, Constitution-class, Olympic-class, Defiant-class starships and a Klingon Bird of Prey. And a couple more I couldn't really place.

In Part 3 between 4:36 to 4:42 it looks like we see the saucer section of the Luna-class, can't be too sure though.

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2009 03:44 PM »
I've published the transcription of the final Q&A which I was just working on earlier today before I was notified of this footage. Video of the screen wasn't actually allowed in there so I'm a bit bummed out that someone did film it, be it only partially, but even more by the fact that it was put online so quickly (this session was friday 16:30).

It certainly is/was a little bit sneaky for whomever filmed this, to have done so, however I think that all in all, its simply helped the PR train for STO.  I havent seen any negative comments really.

Offline Amasov

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2009 04:09 PM »
I've published the transcription of the final Q&A which I was just working on earlier today before I was notified of this footage. Video of the screen wasn't actually allowed in there so I'm a bit bummed out that someone did film it, be it only partially, but even more by the fact that it was put online so quickly (this session was friday 16:30).

It certainly is/was a little bit sneaky for whomever filmed this, to have done so, however I think that all in all, its simply helped the PR train for STO.  I havent seen any negative comments really.

For me it helps that, even in its alpha state, it looks a lot more solid than what Champions did when I first played it last August.

Offline Star*Dagger

• Cadet 1st Class
  • Salus Populi Suprema Lex Est
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2009 06:00 PM »
 :startrek109:
Adequate, perhaps...

Yours in Adjudicatory Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Ahr'caehhere faell rhifv plicarate'dhohh kivoi eiheurrhelhai draes.

It is a rare event that a man should err due to restraint. -- Nnerhin tr'Liemha, "Discourse"