Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Competition - Win one of 3 copys of Star Trek Online: Digital Deluxe Edition!  (Read 14230 times)

Offline transrelativity

• Cadet 4th Class
Yeah, you can check out the article right here:

http://www.massively.com/2010/01/09/write-star-trek-online-fic-and-win-a-free-digital-download/

Nice bit of press coverage.

Offline starbaseprime

• Cadet 2nd Class
600 words?  Well nuts...I never expected the rules to change... 

Post Merge: 11 January 2010 02:51 PM
They probably are reading a lot. So we may not see results until tomorrow. I kept mine a bit short mainly because I didn't want to go into a huge fanfic, and it easily could have with the premise I went by.

I am anxious to see though. Almost as eager for this as for Open Beta, lol.

Next time they'll post them and have members vote on them - much easier for them.  ;-)

Speaking of which - will anyone post what they've written?  I am curious!  I'd post mine but it's +2000 words (rather than read the forums to find out about the rule change I was busy writing and rewriting) and its too long.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 02:51 PM by starbaseprime »

Offline kz31415

• Cadet 3rd Class
Mine was 1800 words from what I wrote. And it is a pretty quick ready really. I don't see how anyone could of done much with 600 words.

Offline nerfherder

• Cadet 4th Class
Great way to increase traffic to the site and get new members. I'm so glad Massively did a story on this contest, or I never would have found the site. I hope the winning entries get posted for everyone to read!

same here...I had thought that HF was simply a podcast, but this site has a wealth of info. Thanks Massively and HF for a neat contest!

Offline starbaseprime

• Cadet 2nd Class
I don't see how anyone could of done much with 600 words.

I tend to agree, what they provided was nearly 200 words alone.  But, perhaps I just lack the skill to do that.

Certainly I'm irritated at having put so much time into it only to be disqualified as the rules changed half way through.

They're just screwed now though.  Who do they offend?  Those that slogged their guts out crafting a real story and never knew the rules changed? Or, those that slogged their guts out trying to make a story fit with a word cap?

Which is why you never change the rules after a contest has started.  If you're irrated about having wasted so much time, show your dagger  :startrek017:, perhaps they won't do it again!  :)

« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 03:25 PM by starbaseprime »

Offline Mynerva

• Cadet 4th Class
I definately struggled with fitting what I had in mind into the 600 words limit, it reads...wrong. I'm not at all happy with how it turned out but... can't do anything about it now. I am however busy writing up the follow on from this fic :D I will post it here if anyone is interested in reading it!

Offline Wulf

• Cadet 3rd Class
Uh, guys...  Before we break out the  :startrek017: s &  :startrek002: s...  Do keep in mind the following from the first page of this thread:

Yes previous entries of more than 600 are fine.

I highly doubt they're going to disqualify someone for being too verbose, especially with the rules changing after the fact.

Post Merge: 11 January 2010 03:39 PM
This is what I was able to toss together in two hours and with 597 words:

Ensign Gaire's Log Stardate 63562.4 - This will be my first and final entry.
We never saw it coming.  We should have known better.  With all the raw resources available in this star system, why would The Borg leave?

Two minutes after entering orbit, there was a shipwide power fluctuation.  Not trusting the transporters, the first officer and a security detachment took a shuttle down to the planet.  She relayed back horrific images of half-formed Borg, in what appeared to be various states of decomposition, as if cybernetics could decompose.

The away team returned to the ship, bringing samples of dead and dying Borg with them.  Yes, some of them, though rapidly deteriorating, were still functioning. 

We remained in orbit for two days, as the science and medical teams poured over the information gleaned from their testing and experimentation.

They believed what they had discovered was an organism that fed on the specific bonds within cybernetics, leaving the biological portion of an assimilated Borg to die a slow death as they were cut off from the technology that maintained them.   

Much like the maggots on Earth would only feed on dead flesh and leave healthy structures alone, these would only break down the merged biological and technological materials.  Once they reached living flesh, they moved on to the next implant.  They were literally dismantling The Borg from the inside out.   

This was touted as a discovery which could possibly mean the end the war with The Borg.  A doomsday weapon, one The Collective obviously feared.

We never could have imagined how adaptable this lifeform was.  The portion of sickbay that had been used for research was quarantined and the microscopic organism placed into stasis.

It wasn’t long before the ship’s systems started malfunctioning.  The computer seemed to be having very human-like memory problems.  Commands would need to be repeated two or three times before they were executed, it was sluggish to respond or wouldn’t respond at all and alerts would be triggered, with seemingly no cause.  This was not supposed to be possible with modern bio-neural systems.

So, we set course for the nearest starbase to have a full systems diagnostic performed and repair operations started.

We never made it.

It was Jonas in security who fell first.  Violent mood swings, loss of control of limbs, incoherent speech.  In the end, it was a mixed blessing that there wasn’t enough of him left to understand what had happened.

That started the panic amongst the other hundred-some crew members.  The captain tried to maintain order and sanity on his ship, but when the malaise took him, the crew lost all hope.

For some, the lucky ones, the devouring of their neural paths was graciously painless, as they’d already been rendered numb or comatose.

Others weren’t as fortunate.  Their screams still echo within the remainders of my mind.
Four of us decided on self-preservation.  Full biological and anti-microbial sweeps were run on the shuttlecraft.  We thought we could escape it.

It’s been almost two weeks.  We almost made it.  We thought we had, until the shuttle’s systems started failing.  A very small number of the organism had been brought along, but that’s all it took.  It multiplies rapidly when food is abundant.

I can no longer feel anything below my sternum, and even that is fading now.

Please, if you find this, destroy the shuttle and the USS Hawkins.

Golson: Hey, uh, Commander?
Cmdr North: Yes, crewman, what is it?
Golson: You remember the science vessel that was towed into starbase 571 a couple days ago?
Cmdr North: Yes, why?

Post Merge: 11 January 2010 03:48 PM
Quote from: starbaseprime

I tend to agree, what they provided was nearly 200 words alone.  But, perhaps I just lack the skill to do that.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Zach meant that your entry needed to be a maximum of 600 words, not including the seed.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 03:48 PM by Wulf »

Offline starbaseprime

• Cadet 2nd Class
Uh, guys...  Before we break out the  :startrek017: s &  :startrek002: s...  Do keep in mind the following from the first page of this thread:

Now admittedly, I'm American, so our English isn't the same.  However, via the sentence mechanics the modifier "previous" should refer to entries submitted before his post and therefore exclude those that came after.  This is also reinforced by the "as of" clause in the earlier post.  Had he meant to say submissions over 600 were fine, there would be no need for the word previous.
IMHO, those of us that were slogging our little brains to the last hour are entitled to at least one  :startrek017: 

The bit about the first 200 words being included or not was never clarified, but I doubt its a problem.  Good story!  Thanks for posting it!
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 04:03 PM by starbaseprime »

Offline Wulf

• Cadet 3rd Class

Now admittedly, I'm American, so our English isn't the same.  However, via the sentence mechanics the modifier "previous" should refer to entries submitted before his post and therefore exclude those that came after.  This is also reinforced by the "as of" clause in the earlier post.  Had he meant to say submissions over 600 were fine, there would be no need for the word previous.
IMHO, those of us that were slogging our little brains to the last hour are entitled to at least one  :startrek017: 

The bit about the first 200 words being included or not was never clarified, but I doubt its a problem.  Good story!  Thanks for posting it!

It is true that it did reference previous entries, I was simply referring to what I would hope to be a compassionate and common sense flexing of the rules, by the organizers, to allow for a bit of wiggle room due to extenuating circumstances.

Thanks!  I haven't written anything in close to a decade.  I have no idea what prompted me to do this, but it felt good to stretch the creative muscles again.

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
I'm sorry if some of you feel that adding a 600 word limit part way through the competition was unfair.  It became clear after the first 12 hours that we would need to impose a limit, otherwise we would have a hard time getting these all read and winners chosen.  We received a couple of entries well over 3 pages long!

While we normally do not change rules after a competition is launched, i'm sure you realize its sometimes nessesary.  In fact, I believe that even Cryptic have done this a few times in the past.

As demonstrated in the posting above, it is possible to devise an interesting narrative in under 600 words, so this limit shouldn't not have restricted you folks too much.

Anyways - we are still trawling through all of the entries that were recieved, so its going to be a while longer before winners are announced.