Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Competition - Win one of 3 copys of Star Trek Online: Digital Deluxe Edition!  (Read 14223 times)

Offline starbaseprime

• Cadet 2nd Class
I'm sorry if some of you feel that adding a 600 word limit part way through the competition was unfair.  It became clear after the first 12 hours that we would need to impose a limit, otherwise we would have a hard time getting these all read and winners chosen.  We received a couple of entries well over 3 pages long!

While we normally do not change rules after a competition is launched, i'm sure you realize its sometimes nessesary.  In fact, I believe that even Cryptic have done this a few times in the past.

As demonstrated in the posting above, it is possible to devise an interesting narrative in under 600 words, so this limit shouldn't not have restricted you folks too much.

Anyways - we are still trawling through all of the entries that were recieved, so its going to be a while longer before winners are announced.

I don't think anyone said that it was "unfair".  Fairness is defined by the contest organizers; and that's you all.

It's just unfortunate that those who were busy writing with a short deadline never knew there was a change and ended up being disqualified for it.  On the other hand, it's a good Klingon lesson:  Survival isn't a right.

I don't think you gain respect by agreeing with someone else regardless of what they say/do, but rather by encouraging them to do good and explaining when you think they made a mistake.  I'm also not calling for you to "unmake" the rule as that wouldn't be right to those under the 600 limit.  So far only I'm the only one to put the symbol up, and if its just me it should be easy to ignore as one person radically different from the crowd is often wrong.  ;-)

But, we learn by doing.  I'd encourage you to do more contests, but perhaps next time include the word limit from the get-go.  Short stories under 600 words are an art form, but I also know they're incredibly hard to do well and might not have attempted it.

Offline Acyl

• Cadet 4th Class
I think the point folks are making is...if there was to be a word limit, this is something that ideally should have been clear from the very beginning.

As it is now, no matter what you do now, some people will be upset about the competition's outcome. This is very unfortunate, because you guys are trying to provide a cool service to the community, and shouldn't have bitterness directed your way.

I have a suggestion, though: given that you have three copies, you could always award them as prizes for different categories. Best long story, best 600 word story, best overall story... I don't know.

I guess it depends on whether most of the entries you guys received were actually 600 words, or not.

I trust you guys to make the best decision. I just wish the situation weren't so awkward for you folks. It ain't fair, to the contestants, or the organisers.

I think at the end of the day, we gotta remember...Zach and the Hailing Frequency guys are just, y'know, community folks trying their best to do stuff for the community. It's not like they're getting paid for this. Take it in that spirit.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 05:26 PM by Acyl »

Offline garm

• Cadet 4th Class
if I had to solve the problem I would:

- give a box to the best long story (more than 600 words)
- give the other 2 to the shorter stories (600 or less words)

Offline kz31415

• Cadet 3rd Class
I would think that if someone was working on their story before the 600 word limit was put into place, but didn't finish until after the 600 limit was set, a polite email explaining would convince HF to accept the submission. It is not like we are dealing with City Hall.

I would think 600 words into the story they would now if it is even up for consideration anyway.

Then again, that is a lot of reading.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 06:08 PM by kz31415 »

Offline starbaseprime

• Cadet 2nd Class
Personally I think one rule change was enough.  Changing after the fact is really bad form (which totally disqualifies my 2000+ word nine page opus ;-)
That's life.  Life isn't fair. 

As demonstrated in the posting above, it is possible to devise an interesting narrative in under 600 words, so this limit shouldn't not have restricted you folks too much.

Well yes and no.  The story is just under the 600 words (not including the intro), but it doesn't use the script-style you started with and it doesn't address the oddity of the 11th planet or build off the characters you introduced.

I don't want to take away from the poster's story.  Given the word limit it would be difficult to incorporate all of that.

I believe that even Cryptic have done this a few times in the past.
I'm sure that didn't bother anyone then either.  Well, you know what they say about not learning from history.  ;-)

Seriously though, it's a contest, there was a rule change.  It's not the end of the world.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 06:53 PM by starbaseprime »

Offline Wulf

• Cadet 3rd Class
Quote from: starbaseprime
Well yes and no.  The story is just under the 600 words (not including the intro), but it doesn't use the script-style you started with and it doesn't address the oddity of the 11th planet or build off the characters you introduced.

I don't want to take away from the poster's story.  Given the word limit it would be difficult to incorporate all of that.

No offense, whatsoever, was taken.  It was a creative writing exercize, so I took what was given and used it as a basis and a resource, rather than a template.

I integrated the captain as much as the narrative allowed.  The initial introduction of 'characters' gave no life and no names to them, so I treated them as the ancillary characters they were portrayed as.

As for not addressing the 11th planet, I'd say the crew of the USS Hawkins had a few more pressing matters to attend to, which were spurred by entering the orbit of the third planet, before exploring further.

With the narrative being a monologue, following the initial 'script-style' didn't make much sense.  I followed it, inasmuch as starting with the log entry, and setting the Stardate approximately 2 weeks later.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 06:51 PM by Wulf »

Offline starbaseprime

• Cadet 2nd Class
No offense, whatsoever, was taken.  It was a creative writing exercize, so I took what was given and used it as a basis and a resource, rather than a template.

I integrated the captain as much as the narrative allowed.  The initial introduction of 'characters' gave no life and no names to them, so I treated them as the ancillary characters they were portrayed as.

As for not addressing the 11th planet, I'd say the crew of the USS Hawkins had a few more pressing matters to attend to, which were spurred by entering the orbit of the third planet, before exploring further.

With the narrative being a monologue, following the initial 'script-style' didn't make much sense.  I followed it, inasmuch as starting with the log entry, and setting the Stardate approximately 2 weeks later.

Thanks!  I hate being critical of any form of good writing and I enjoyed your story. But, it was the only example at hand...  I suspect had they realized the volume they'd get they'd have made the intro simpler.

Also, a word of thanks is certainly in order for HF going out of their way to bring us this contest.  If anything, it must have been a very difficult decision.  Consider they must have had a good idea what the reaction to changed rules would be.  That had to be carefully weighed against their ability to get a timely prize awarded out.  I'm glad it wasn't me making that decision.

I much prefer an organization that continually tries new things and occasionally stumbles, than one that does nothing for its community.  So, just as I called for  :startrek017: if you weren't happy, let me now call for a  :startrek021: symbol in your post to show your support that they continued to bravely go where no other StarTrek source has gone before!

:startrek021:
« Last Edit: 11 January 2010 06:58 PM by starbaseprime »

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
This is going a little off topic here, but I just got the word from Direct2Drive that they want to provide DDE's for at least one more competition.  So as soon as this one is sorted out, we will be launching another.

Offline Wulf

• Cadet 3rd Class
This is going a little off topic here, but I just got the word from Direct2Drive that they want to provide DDE's for at least one more competition.  So as soon as this one is sorted out, we will be launching another.

Good to know.  Many thanks to HF & D2D for organizing and sponsoring these.

Offline Mynerva

• Cadet 4th Class

Do you know whether it will be another fan fiction competition? I really hope so I would love another shot at it. I literally had six or so hours to submit one because I learned about this site through massively :)