Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Huge Star Trek Online Screenshot Update!  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
Huge Star Trek Online Screenshot Update!
« on: 30 July 2009 08:14 PM »
The last few days seem to be non stop as far as Star Trek Online goes.  Just the other day, we had a Star Trek Online Dev chat where alot of interesting new information was released and then earlier on today, we had an article in the PC Gamer UK Magazine which had a tonne of new information as well as some eye watering screenshots.

Well, it seem that this wasnt enough for Cryptic today, as they have sent out a huge screenshot update to a number of sites including Kotaku and Hailing Frequency.  The pack is entitled "Every Star Trek Online Screenshot you could Possibly Want" and it does not disappoint.  Muddled in with around 15 screenshots we have seen in the past, are a total of 18 brand spankin' new screenshots for your viewing pleasure!

They have been added to the Hailing Frequency Gallery, so check them out by clicking here or check them out below!

There are some good ones and some bad ones in there and I am sure there are mixed reactions throughout the community, so be sure to let us know what you think about them folks!

Offline Acidrain

• Ensign
    • OutpostGamez
Re: Huge Star Trek Online Screenshot Update!
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2009 08:42 AM »
I really love this image, however iam starting to become concerned in regards to seeing some very similair designs which have been created at Scifi-mesh.com

Offline darkthunder

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2009 09:39 AM »
My main concern graphically, are the stupid engine trails for the ships. When have we ever seen ships with engine trails in Star Trek? (other than Star Trek: TMP when the Enterprise entered warp)

http://www.hailingfrequency.com/boards/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=4533&fullsize=1

Looks sort-of like the Enterprise in TMP when they went into warp. But any other image showing "engine trails" is just plain out wrong for the Star Trek genre. I hope it gets changed before launch, or atleast that the effect can be disabled.

Offline Sarevok

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Aries Fleet XO
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2009 09:48 AM »
Zinc commented on that way back the original trailer came out.
He said it was very hard to get a feel for spatial orientation before they added the trails.

Offline darkthunder

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2009 01:33 PM »
Zinc commented on that way back the original trailer came out.
He said it was very hard to get a feel for spatial orientation before they added the trails.

There are no engine trails in Bridge Commander, or Starfleet Command. I understand perfectly which way my ship is pointed and where it's headed. Typical "cop-out" response, making the game more "casual friendly" and thus dumbing it down. Wouldn't surprise me if we'd end up with a "WoW in space" type MMO by the time it's launched.

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2009 04:38 PM »
I would hope there will be a graphics option to turn the trails on and off.  Its been done in other games.

Offline darkthunder

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2009 06:00 PM »
A question for the next "Ask Cryptic" perhaps? :P

Offline Acidrain

• Ensign
    • OutpostGamez
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2009 07:41 PM »
I would hope there will be a graphics option to turn the trails on and off.  Its been done in other games.

Darkthunder,

The issue of trails, iam sure that is what it is all about, the WOW of space. I really dont know about this game, sometimes i remain optimistic and then i see certain things and its like i don't know.

Offline darkthunder

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2009 10:42 PM »
My point exactly. The game definitely has potential, but as you said there are "some things" that quite simply turn me the other way. Hoping things improve graphically before launch.

Offline Acidrain

• Ensign
    • OutpostGamez
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2009 11:11 PM »
My point exactly. The game definitely has potential, but as you said there are "some things" that quite simply turn me the other way. Hoping things improve graphically before launch.

There is evident that the graphics are completely horrible when it comes to allot of the many screen shots that we have seen in relationship to ground combat, environment, but when we look at the space shots we see something else, as if it is two different engines. I see too many roughness in regards to the game. As for the mechanics and the podcast Kinease and Zack brought up some good points in some areas, well Victor also indicated that we wont know anything until the game comes out and we can play it. I might even hold off, to see what some other say before even buying it, or if they offer an 10 day trail or something. However, IMO we saw better screen shots from that of PE than we are seeing in Cryptic.

You know, Victor is so right when he talks about what happened to Startrek Gaming and it will never be what it used to be. I loved the community i was apart of, it is hard these days to find and stick with a game with many of those that we played Startrek Games with. I do hope that Victor is correct, it would be nice to see an FPS based on ST specially coming from that of IDSoftware. They are awesome.