Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: April 8th - 3 New Star Trek Online Screenshots!  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Cleopatra

• Ensign
  • Future Teacher
Re: April 8th - 3 New Star Trek Online Screenshots!
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2009 12:21 AM »
I like the pictures. The first one looks like a planet with rough terrain. Maybe Vulcan or Cardassia Prime. The third picture screams power. I did not notice two sets of rings until Kinneas pointed it out. A comic books writer would chalk this up as "cosmic anomaly".
Time is the fire in which we burn. -Gene Roddenberry

Offline Nutty

• Cadet 2nd Class
    • League of Generals
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2009 07:46 AM »
Judging from the looks of the first one, it appears there's a hexagonal * thing* in the sky. My guess would be that's the planetary defense grid, which would mean that the location would be under attack...

or a very bad skybox applied.

Or it could be part of a holodeck simulation. The hexagonal "thing" could be from the program just starting/about to shutdown, or there's a problem with the holodeck grid, something along those lines.
General Nutty
Co-Leader of the League of Generals

Offline Sarevok

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Aries Fleet XO
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2009 03:30 PM »
@ 2 rings:

Yeah, like Falin said... that's  pretty unlikely, if not utterly impossible...

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain

Offline Falin

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Fleet Grand Admiral, Tholian Defense Forces
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2009 04:28 PM »
thy have multiple rings on the same plane, tere's just gaps between them. it has to do with the gravametric pull that all the debree will fall in a set plane, but that does not mean they have to be in the same ring, so there are concentric series of rings around our planets with them.

2 rings on 2 completely different planes is very much impossible, it would mea the planet has 2 grametric planes that are in contrast to each other. if that was the case, the debree would not have consolidated into rings, it would be in constant flux between the two pulls.
Admiral and Commander, TDFS Vindicator

Offline BLZBUB

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #15 on: 10 April 2009 09:29 PM »
 Re-examining the rings on that planet shot, I have noticed that they are in two separate orbital heights, thus the top one could pass under the bottom one.
 Falin has covered the physics well, but  when I noticed the different orbits, I thought that this configuration may be possible.
 The planet would need opposing satellites in orbits perpendicular to their corresponding ring. These 'moon's' would have eccentric orbits that would wobble the rings as they drag them about with their respective gravitational pulls. Make any sense?

Also, no one has mentioned that the debris field is not 100% natural. There is a heck of a lot of manufactured structural material in the mix. My guess? A small moon with attendant complexes was blown apart?. Now that would effect the orbits of those rings too, right?
Fleet Admiral BLZBUB,
Fleet Commanding Officer,
Lotus Fleet

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2009 04:23 PM »
Wow - Interesting Analysis BLZBUB!

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2009 05:00 PM »
Re-examining the rings on that planet shot, I have noticed that they are in two separate orbital heights, thus the top one could pass under the bottom one.
 Falin has covered the physics well, but  when I noticed the different orbits, I thought that this configuration may be possible.
 The planet would need opposing satellites in orbits perpendicular to their corresponding ring. These 'moon's' would have eccentric orbits that would wobble the rings as they drag them about with their respective gravitational pulls. Make any sense?

Also, no one has mentioned that the debris field is not 100% natural. There is a heck of a lot of manufactured structural material in the mix. My guess? A small moon with attendant complexes was blown apart?. Now that would effect the orbits of those rings too, right?

wooooooohoooooooooo!