Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ask Cryptic: Jan 7, 2009  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
Ask Cryptic: Jan 7, 2009
« on: 08 January 2009 05:54 AM »

Cryptic Studios have posted the first new "Ask Cryptic" update for 2009.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2009 01:33 PM by Kinneas »

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
Re: Ask Cryptic: Jan 7, 2009
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2009 12:02 PM »
Wow This is an interesting update.

I'm glad to hear that the ship physics are going to be somewhat realistic.  I'm also happy with what I read about how a pimped out Defiant Class will never be as good as a Sovereign Class.

I'm not so happy about the dialogue.  I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, we have to be limited to small conversation trees that are text based.  I think we should have alot of conversation freedom with NPCs and multiple directions that a conversation can take.

Also - The Time of War comment bothers me so much.  I have always known that STO is going to be set in wartime, but they seem to be saying that they are going to be focussing almost completely on that aspect.   

Are they THAT afraid that a game without war or with an equal balance of exploration missions, will fail??

What did everyone else think of this?
« Last Edit: 08 January 2009 12:50 PM by Zach »

Offline Blackfire

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2009 01:41 PM »

Sigh!

A universe at war?!? Combat a major factor?!?? I thought this was supposed to be star trek?

This dev release was very dissapointing, also the keeping of multiple ships. Since when is any captain able to switch command from one ship to another at a whim? Why would anyone be aloud to? This has to be the dumbest thing they could have come up with, but hey it's still early I'm sure we'll see worse things yet.

Clearly they plan to appeal to the lowest denominator of the gaming crowd from what I read in that dev post. As far as I'm concerned you get one ship and thats it, want a better ship? say good bye to the old one as it should be. Wanna keep it? make a new charie and start the new one in the climb for a better ship. Things were bad enough with the prospect of seeing pink starships with names like U.S.S. Eatme, but this is really too much.

Please cryptic, get some people in their that know what the "BLEEP!" their doing.

Offline darkthunder

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2009 02:27 PM »
And there goes whatever interest I had in STO. From the release of the trailer, until now it's only been going from "bad to worse" in my opinion. Doubt anything they do can change my opinion of STO, unless they do some radical changes to the game.

I may or may not hang around on HF forums from time to time, but at current my interest in STO is ZERO.

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2009 02:50 PM »
thats sad.

they really seem to be causing a lot of damage with this one. A lot of folks are saying the same thing across the community.

Offline Sarevok

• Aries Fleet XO
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2009 03:05 PM »
I'm not usually a great critic of anything before I can see the actual product, but I must say I am amazed that a Star Trek captain could have (not gonna say own) more than one (1) ship.  :startrek014:

Offline Falin

• Fleet Grand Admiral, Tholian Defense Forces
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2009 03:18 PM »
sad, just sad.

why oh why are they set on ruining Trek? if they're making it so Not Trek, why cll it STO, why not "some space Action Game with lot's of combat" instead?

horrid graphics, lot's of combat, 2 factions n a multi-faction universe, avatars that look like 10 yr old boys with giant hands, the list goes on, this game is soun more like they're preparing to shelve it than launch it.
Admiral and Commander, TDFS Vindicator

Offline Lt. Katten

• Cadet 3rd Class
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2009 12:48 AM »
Most of the info is still kinda vague as to what the final product will be, but I have to say that the comments on the avatar looks was a little disappointing.  I was hoping that the early shots were untextured or pre-alpha test shots, but it looks like they're going "that way" after all.

"Fantastic" styling imo is not "taking it up a notch" in the Star Trek universe; its about all the subtle little details and experiences, not the flashy lights and lightning bolts.  For me n' my tastes, something like the quality of the Lord of the Rings Online avatars is about as cartoon-like as I could stand.  Go the direction of something like Pirates of the Caribbean Online or these lovely characters ...  :startrek047:  :startrek065:  :startrek061: and I think you'll be axing a large portion of your hopeful fans right from the start.

Offline Admiral of Starfleet

• STO Trivia Competition #2 Winner
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2009 02:38 AM »
I'm not liking the direction that they are heading, they are treating Trek worse than B&B did. The Dominion War wasn't true Trek, but it gained DS9 viewers and apparently Cryptic thinks they can pull the same trick.