Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cryptic launch "Ships of the Line" Section for Christmas 2008  (Read 3236 times)

Offline BLZBUB

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
Re: Cryptic launch "Ships of the Line" Section for Christmas 2008
« Reply #10 on: 26 December 2008 05:28 AM »
 Bernium is not listed in the periodic table at Memory Alpha, so I guess it is one that Cryptic made up. There is a "Beium" there though...if that helps Kinneas? :P
Fleet Admiral BLZBUB,
Fleet Commanding Officer,
Lotus Fleet

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 26 December 2008 10:27 AM »
I really really like this ship.  I dont know what to make about the thing between the nacelles - but as long as it does something and isnt just for "looks" then I am ok with it.  Perhaps its an additional rear torpedo launch like the pod on the miranda class, or perhaps its a sensor packages.

Its in a fairly vulnerable position however.....

I'm liking some of the technology systems and I love how they have incorporated Voyagers Emergency Command Hologram Idea.

It does strike me as having too many weapons though for a Federation Ship - but perhaps that comes with the land.

Offline Sarevok

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Aries Fleet XO
« Reply #12 on: 26 December 2008 11:20 AM »
Hmm, I noticed the "holographic consoles". That sounds to me like the "swap-able" bridge consoles that have been discussed both here and on sto.com before.

Offline Amasov

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #13 on: 26 December 2008 01:56 PM »
Toooooooooooo much firepower.  Too many photon bays.  Photons are weapons of mass destruction. that is just overkill.

Nothing out there besides a major empire enemy should require that kind of power.

What does this say about where the combat ships will be?   30-50+ phaser arrays @ type 16-100,  plus 100 torp bays?

Anyway I hate being negative on X-Mas and I thank them so much for giving us a gift...that is awesome...but it does seem a bit Hannah Barbaric with regards to firepower.

--Merry Christmas.

The Enterprise-E had ten torpedo launchers and sixteen phaser arrays by Nemesis though, and if we believe what Alex Jaeger said about the Akira-class then this ship is under armed, especially if the Alpha and Beta Quadrants are as hostile as we are lead to believe in this time frame.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2008 02:00 PM by Amasov »

Offline Random Redshirt

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2008 05:57 PM »
:cough: KITBASH :cough:

Ok, it's obvious they wanted something that looked like a Sovy in the game, but was more powerful. They simply took the Sovereign class numbers, most likely from here:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/sovereign-class-starship-ncc-1701-e-sheet-1.jpg

then bumped up the numbers here and there as they deemed appropriate.

Why wouldn't they simply offer this up as a Sovy refit? Why is this being called an NX class vessel? It is obviously a Sovy.

I'm not getting the need for so many torpedo tubes. 4 front and back? You'd need to carry an inordinate amount of ordinance with you to make use of the capability. As it is, a standard Sovy payload of 250 Torpedoes (175 Photon, 75 Quantum) gets burned up in mere minutes with Picard in the center seat. (See Nemesis) So is a Sovy size vessel now going to need to carry 1000 torpedoes?

Done ranting. For now....

---EDIT---

Nope, apparently I'm not done ranting. This ship, is commissioned in 2409? Seriously? I bet the Sovy class did have MORE adavanced refits than this entire design BEFORE 2409.

Unless Starfleet R&D completely stagnated between 2379 and 2409.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2008 06:01 PM by Random Redshirt »
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
« Reply #15 on: 26 December 2008 06:13 PM »
Toooooooooooo much firepower.  Too many photon bays.  Photons are weapons of mass destruction. that is just overkill.

Nothing out there besides a major empire enemy should require that kind of power.

What does this say about where the combat ships will be?   30-50+ phaser arrays @ type 16-100,  plus 100 torp bays?

Anyway I hate being negative on X-Mas and I thank them so much for giving us a gift...that is awesome...but it does seem a bit Hannah Barbaric with regards to firepower.

--Merry Christmas.

The Enterprise-E had ten torpedo launchers and sixteen phaser arrays by Nemesis though, and if we believe what Alex Jaeger said about the Akira-class then this ship is under armed, especially if the Alpha and Beta Quadrants are as hostile as we are lead to believe in this time frame.

Yeah. I've seen the error of my ways.

Offline General Kras

• Cadet 1st Class
  • A Warrior should always be prepared for death
    • The Order of the Bat'leth Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2009 09:51 PM »
:cough: KITBASH :cough:

Ok, it's obvious they wanted something that looked like a Sovy in the game, but was more powerful. They simply took the Sovereign class numbers, most likely from here:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/sovereign-class-starship-ncc-1701-e-sheet-1.jpg

then bumped up the numbers here and there as they deemed appropriate.

Why wouldn't they simply offer this up as a Sovy refit? Why is this being called an NX class vessel? It is obviously a Sovy.

I'm not getting the need for so many torpedo tubes. 4 front and back? You'd need to carry an inordinate amount of ordinance with you to make use of the capability. As it is, a standard Sovy payload of 250 Torpedoes (175 Photon, 75 Quantum) gets burned up in mere minutes with Picard in the center seat. (See Nemesis) So is a Sovy size vessel now going to need to carry 1000 torpedoes?

Done ranting. For now....

---EDIT---

Nope, apparently I'm not done ranting. This ship, is commissioned in 2409? Seriously? I bet the Sovy class did have MORE adavanced refits than this entire design BEFORE 2409.

Unless Starfleet R&D completely stagnated between 2379 and 2409.

I agree 100%, this ship has nearly identical dimensions to the Sovereign class, and the rest of the hull changes could have easily been made with photoshop in 2-3 hours.  Nor too advanced for the new Starfleet "NX", or experimental, vessel.  Looks like a Sovy with a few more weapons, bells and whistles.  I hope the next vessel is an Imperial one, and they actually took some real time with it. 

MoppyCGDaniels

« Reply #17 on: 03 January 2009 11:11 PM »
Obviously as it was pointed earlier she's quite a refit of a Sovy & the NX-01. My guess is that with modifyable saucer sections, nacelles etc. we've here the hopfully first example of ships Cryptic will come up with.