Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any BOTF players here?  (Read 7988 times)

Offline Martok

• Cadet 1st Class
Re: Any BOTF players here?
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2009 07:24 AM »
Credits per turn... most of the time after 100 turns it goes negative until I run out of credits and can't buy anything. Sometimes I can make it to 200 turns. I noticed once I built alot of ships and it went way negative. Another time I have about 4 systems(not alot of ships) and it went negative on me. 80% of the games I play it goes negative and won't let me get out of it.

Ah, gotcha.  If that's the case, I can almost guarantee you're running out of credits because your fleet is too large.  If the maintenance costs on your ships, outposts, and starbases exceeds that of your income, then it will indeed start to go down (and eventually you'll end up in the red if you don't stop building ships for at least a while). 

You do receive a certain amount of free ship support points, equal to a percentage of your population (it varies by race -- the Klingons get the most, the Ferengi the least).  To see how much under/over your free support limit you are, mouse over the area directly under where it says "Federation/Empire/Union/Alliance Info":  A pop-up will appear displaying first "Free ship support" (which is how points your empire is currently generating), and underneath that the "Support cost" (which is how much you're paying in maintenance costs on your military).  If the "Free ship support" number is larger than the "Support cost" number, then you're fine.  If the *reverse* is true, however, then it means part of your income is going towards paying maintenance costs on your fleet.   

It is indeed difficult for the first 100 turns to afford a truly large fleet, as you rarely have the income levels to sustain a massive military buildup.  For myself, it's usually not until I've got around 15 systems in my empire with mostly full populations that I can afford to pay the maintenance costs on a large number of ships. 

Of course, that's in the *vanilla* version of the game.  You really should try the Balance of Power and/or Ultimate Dominion 3 mods.  Both mods allow you to construct and afford a large fleet even early in the game -- I highly recommend them! 
"Mr. Garak, why is it that no one has tried to kill you yet?"

"My innate charm?"

Offline Warborg

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2009 12:13 AM »
I just got the cheat thing working on it, I may play again and use the credit one when it goes negative

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2009 10:45 AM »
So all you BOTF Players must be looking forward to Supremacy?

Offline Martok

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2009 01:06 AM »
Certainly many of us are, yes -- I know I am!  I just can't stand the waiting, is all!  (That said, I do realize Mike is essentially working on this massive project largely on his own, and as such it will take time before Supremacy is truly "ready".)  :P 

"My innate charm?"

Offline Warborg

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2009 04:37 AM »
What is going to be different about it? So far it mainly looks like a different user interface. It seems easier to use then BOTF, then again since it's not fully operational that could be why too.

But for the most part it seems more like a mod then BOTF2.

Offline Martok

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2009 07:23 AM »
Caveat:  Bear in mind that a lot of what I'm about to say regarding Supremacy is based on my (very possibly erroneous) impressions and/or my (admittedly vague) recollections about what Mike has said regarding the project thus far. 

What is going to be different about it? So far it mainly looks like a different user interface. It seems easier to use then BOTF, then again since it's not fully operational that could be why too.

But for the most part it seems more like a mod then BOTF2.

Well I know it's not a mod, at least in the sense that Supremacy is using a completely separate game engine.  The coding is different, the AI programming is different, etc.  In addition, it's eventually going to incorporate a real-time battle engine that's apparently more flexible than what BOTF currently sports. 

That being said, there certainly are similarities between Supremacy and BOTF, although how deep the similarities go is difficult to say at this point.  Mike has obviously adopted a similar visual style for Supremacy, especially with the main map and colony build queues.  (In fact, he's temporarily borrowing images from BOTF as stand-ins for a lot of the structures until his own are ready.)  I believe diplomacy will also work much the same way, although it does appear it's going to be at least a little more sophisticated than it is in BOTF (which I suspect most of us would agree is a good thing). 

My impression is that Mike's desire -- which many of us share -- is to create a sequel that doesn't stray too far from the original gameplay, while fixing or replacing the things that are wrong with the current game (bugs, wonky AI, rubbish diplomacy, etc.).  The majority of current players I know have long expressed a consensus that if a BOTF sequel simply had more polish, improved AI, and a decent visual upgrade, that's all that most of us could really want.  The original's gameplay is actually quite satisfactory, and I don't think Mike has any intention of trying to reinvent the proverbial wheel with Supremacy.  My feeling is that he's basically attempting to make BOTF as it should have been -- nothing more, nothing less. 

Of course, as you already pointed out, Supremacy is still very incomplete right now.  Only the Federation is playable at the moment (or at least it was in the last version I played); and if I'm not mistaken, the AI has not yet been added either (or at the very least, it hasn't been fully implemented).  Also, as I mentioned earlier, the battle engine has yet to be included as well. 

Anyway, my point is simply that since there's still so much left to do, it's hard to say just how like or unlike BOTF Supremacy will turn out to be.  Hopefully Mike's able to take all the good parts from the original game and ditch the bad parts, but obviously only time will tell as to how successful he in this regard. 

"My innate charm?"

Offline Warborg

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: 15 July 2009 08:54 PM »
Sounds good,I have always liked the template of BOTF just not the oddities. Sounds like this will fix this.

I do believe there is an update to play the other races now

Offline Xenoshaft

• Cadet 3rd Class
« Reply #17 on: 14 August 2009 06:38 PM »
 :startrek012:
I still play BOTF

Offline Martok

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2009 03:26 AM »
Glad to hear it, Xenoshaft!  Do you play the game with any mods, or have you stayed with the "vanilla" version? 

"My innate charm?"

Offline Dr.Phibes

• 1000 Open Beta Key Giveaway Extravaganza
  • Cadet 4th Class
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2010 01:01 AM »
yay, botf! Someone else of the 1000 new members still playing?