Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Announcing Star Trek Excalibur  (Read 12384 times)

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
Announcing Star Trek Excalibur
« on: 16 February 2008 12:58 AM »
[img align=right]http://195.62.29.251/~hailingf/stguarticles/excalibur/ExcaliburLogoHF.JPG[/img]
It is not very often that we get to announce a new Star Trek Game, and while this isnít an official game we are posting about, over the past year, the quality of fan created star trek games has improved so much, that it really is hard to distinguish between officially made and fan made games.

So it is with great hope that we announce Star Trek: Excalibur.

[img align=right]http://195.62.29.251/~hailingf/stguarticles/excalibur/thumb3.jpg[/img] Excalibur aims to take Star Trek Gaming Boldly where it has not gone before; with a stunning next generation game engine (NanoGE), it aims to be, not only a spiritual sequel to Star Trek Bridge Commander, but a whole lot more.

Similarly to Bridge Commander, you will control a ship, the Excalibur, through a breathtaking single player campaign, choosing to fight using either the exterior third person ship view, or the interior bridge view, however this is where the similarities between the two games end.

Excalibur will allow you to move around the interior of your ship, with tasks and parts of missions taking place in many popular locations such as Engineering, Sickbay, and The Transporter Rooms Ė even leaving the ship in some cases to beam down to an alien world!

Imagine a sequence of events where you are fighting the Klingons and they succeed in boarding your ship. You will get the opportunity to leave the Bridge and fight off the invasion with a range of weapons.

[img align=left]http://195.62.29.251/~hailingf/stguarticles/excalibur/thumb1.jpg[/img]   Excalibur aims to include the best elements from a number of Star Trek Games, including Bridge Commander, Armada, Elite Force, Birth of the Federation, Legacy, A Final Unity, Starfleet Command, Klingon Academy and more, putting all of the best of these games into one single, ultimate star trek game.

The team working on Excalibur hails from Bridge Commander Central, a forum that has produced many hit modifications for Bridge Commander, so we can rest assured that the game is being produced by people who are dedicated to star trek, and dedicated to releasing quality products.
 [img align=right]http://195.62.29.251/~hailingf/stguarticles/excalibur/thumb2.jpg[/img]
Being a fan made game however, they are unable to guarantee a specific release date for the game, however Mark Ward, the games lead artist and publicist hopes that they will have a completed product within two and a half years.

Hailing Frequency (The Internetís First Podcast Dedicated to Star Trek Gaming) will be conducting an extensive thirty minute interview with Mark Ward in this weekendís upcoming show, where we will hear more about this exciting game, including the teamís concepts for a massively multiplayer, persistent online system, as well as several other exciting aspects of the game! Be sure to check out this interview when the show releases on Sunday 17th February.

In the meantime, beam on over to http://www.stexcalibur.com for more information on this exciting new Star Trek Game!

« Last Edit: 16 February 2008 01:33 AM by Zach Nicodemous »

Offline Malle

• Ensign
Re: Announcing Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2008 12:41 PM »
This is gonna be immersive  fed2

anyway as crisp as the engine looks, the planets are severely underlighted or maldistributed ;).

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2008 02:57 PM »
Its Pre-Alpha at the moment - Give it Time!

Offline darkthunder

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2008 04:48 AM »
Just wanted to make a correction to the article. The name of the engine is NanoFX, not NanoGE :)

NanoFX GE is the full title we use on the site at www.nanofx.org. The GE is simply an abbreviation for what NanoFX is: A Game Engine. Other than that, nice article and i'm currently downloading the podcast. Posted some new images at the site just a short while ago of the first "in-engine" Excalibur content.

Also, www.stexcalibur.com is the site of the project itself, whereas www.nanofx.org is used for discussions/comments etc of the engine that will be used. From time to time, new content may be posted on one or both of the sites. It's useful to keep track of both.

// DT
« Last Edit: 17 February 2008 04:51 AM by darkthunder »

Offline Random Redshirt

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2008 06:55 PM »
I'm looking forward to this game alot. It looks great for being in pre-alpha and I'm excited about the general idea of the game play too. Hopefully this game gets knocked right out of the park! It would be nice for some of the big name game companies to get knocked down a peg by a fan building a game better than them.  :)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline Nova

• Lotus Fleet
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2008 02:46 AM »
This game looks so awesome I really hope its as good as it looks and the game itself doesnt take to long to get launched!

Any way we can get updates on this game regularly?

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2008 02:50 AM »
We will be covering the game regularly on the Star  Trek Gaming News, and i am working with Mark to have regluar "Dev Logs" created for posting :)

Offline Nova

• Lotus Fleet
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2008 03:01 AM »
Awesome!!!

Wow between this game, STO, and the New movie I just dont know what to do!

::goes and plays Bridge Commander, and makes phaser noises:::

Offline Athos

• Hailing Frequency Donator
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2008 03:58 AM »
I am stoked (i.e. excited) about this game.  First off, it's an entirely fan-created game which means that the people making the game actually care about Star Trek.  Secondly...it looks increadible!  My only question is... there was something good about Legacy? (Oh yes, I went there  :wink:)

Seriously though, this looks to be one of the best Star Trek games created as yet.  Hopefully, STO will be up to par with it when it comes out.