Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fleets or Guilds  (Read 10988 times)

Offline Sir_Cedric

• Cadet 1st Class
Re: Fleets or Guilds
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2008 12:56 PM »
Hmmmmmm

OK I agree with fleets for StarFleet, BUT............

What would you call a guild in the Klingon Empire?

What would you call a guild in the Romulan Star Empire?

Not sure is we will see anything other factions in STO, but there is always the Dominion, Breen, and Cardassins.  :D

Offline Nova

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2008 01:21 PM »
Actually if we where to assume that like Earth, the Romulans and Klingons also follow a similar naming structure by using nautical terms then the word Fleet would work for all Factions regardless of their origin, If you reference the Dominion War, we have Armadas, Fleets, and Battle Groups.

All of which would break down like this in STO

Armadas: 2 or more Fleets banned together to fight an opposing Enemy or Enemies

Fleet: a Grouping of Individuals under 1 Flag. Equal to a guild.

Battle Group: a group of 2 to 8 People. Equal to a Raiding Party.

Offline BLZBUB

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2008 04:14 PM »
 And, just FYI, the Romulan fleet was called Galae. They referred to the Federation groups consistently as lloannen'galae, which meant 'Fleet", 'Battle Group' or even a grouping of civilian vessels. Rihannsu did not distinguish between these groups as the Romulans originally only thought of the Federation as an enemy.
Fleet Admiral BLZBUB,
Fleet Commanding Officer,
Lotus Fleet

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2008 06:03 PM »
Where did you see that BLZBUB?

Offline BLZBUB

• Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2008 06:08 PM »
Dictionary of Romulan Language

Galae
    Fleet (Most specifically, space fleet, since the battles of Rihannsu history were principally land-based. However, there was a later, enthusiastic adoption of massed airpower in both the offensive and defensive modes, and it is here, rather than in naval tradition, that the term has it's origins.)

lloannen'galae
    Federation Fleet (Federation Battlegroup, Task Force; the word has aggressive connotations that do not differentiate between warships and civilian vessels, but then Rihannsu have seldom seen the need to regard ships other than ours as anything but potential enemies.)

Fleet Admiral BLZBUB,
Lotus Fleet

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: 23 June 2008 06:10 PM »
Interesting. Anyway back to the topic at hand - I would have to say that the names presented by Nova are some good ones for use in the game.

It really depends how much detail they are going to put into the game though. If they go into great detail, then using those ones the BLZBUB posted for the Romulans, and whatever the Klingon alternatives are, would be ideal.

We will have to wait and see i guess.

Offline BLZBUB

• Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2008 06:19 PM »
Well, not being Klingon myself, all I recall of them is that they are the 'Klingon Defense Force', or KDF. They're use of "IKS" (Imperial Klingon Ship) is well known of course
Fleet Admiral BLZBUB,
Lotus Fleet

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: 23 June 2008 09:45 PM »
Well thats a start.

Offline Sir_Cedric

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #28 on: 24 June 2008 01:03 PM »
I am still thinking, least for the Klingon side, that a guild might be called House. Example The House of <Insert name>. Each house is give duty within the Empire, and mainly the Fleets of the Kilngons are made up of the different Houses. At least I think that is how it's handled.

The Romulans might be more straight forward like the Federation.

Offline Nova

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #29 on: 24 June 2008 03:19 PM »
Yes however the reason you might find difficulty with that idea is that, a single house may have multiple smaller houses under them, as well as connection with multiple larger or smaller groups of ships. so the question remains do we adapt STO to fit what the ours, and the developers understanding of canon is, or should a standard be created in which the representation of a Guild, Raiding Party, and single ship/player or given standard names.

Or what about both, who's to say that a the Ferangi couldn't use the term guild, where the klingons use the term house, and the Federation use the term Fleet.