Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Release of STO  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Raven

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Ensign
Release of STO
« on: 25 July 2008 09:43 PM »
How do you think STO should be released, Digital Download or Box Set?  I fully believe that STO should be a paid subscription based game, and chances are, it will be.  Do you think the game should be primarily a digital download with a boxed release?  Or do you think there should be a collectors edition which might give you an in-game incentive to buy it?  If so, what do you think the ingame incentive should be?

Offline starfleetcommand3

• Cadet 1st Class
Re: Release of STO
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2008 09:46 PM »
I think it should be free, no more *free for 30 days* stuff. I want it free and you could buy in a CD-DVD format    :D  :D
« Last Edit: 25 July 2008 09:48 PM by starfleetcommand3 »
A S31 Agent

Offline Raven

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2008 09:52 PM »
I think it should be free, no more *free for 30 days* stuff. I want it free and you could buy in a CD-DVD format    :D  :D

Well STO has to be subscription based, developers need to make money to pay the dev team and maintain the servers, which take money.  I think the fee however should be no more than 15 a month, which is 50cents a day when you think about it.  30-Day Free would be nice but thats it.

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2008 10:15 PM »
Good questions we can ask if we can.

Offline Falin

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Fleet Grand Admiral, Tholian Defense Forces
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2008 10:45 PM »
In todays market, they'd be a fool not to have boxed sets and digital downloads available. and thy've be a bigger fool to go away from subscription based to one of the many so-called "free" systems out there, subscription games have a far higehr bug repair, feature enhancement, upgrades and expansions than "free" games. also, when pu into context, the cost of the game a month is nothing, for $15 a month, you get up to 720 possible hours of entertainment, take that into cmparrison to going to a movie twice, you get 5 hours of entertainment for the same costs, or three meals at McDonalds or 3 packs of ciggerettes for some. really It always boggles me why people want the game free after purchase claiming it to much costs, but jut look at the numbers and it's far cheaper than other things you'd likely do.
Admiral and Commander, TDFS Vindicator

Offline Nickinaround

• Cadet 3rd Class
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2009 07:28 AM »
To think that a MMORPG will be nothing but a pay to play subscription, I think you been drinking too much! :D I definitely think that they will be releasing a special edition collectors box set. They would be dumb not too, as every mmorpg now has them along with most A+ game releases.  It will probably also be released on digital downloads a couple weeks after the release is my guess.

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2009 09:37 AM »
* Zach wonders what the special edition boxset will contain

Maybe a phaser or Dktahg

Offline Falin

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Fleet Grand Admiral, Tholian Defense Forces
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2009 01:48 PM »
To think that a MMORPG will be nothing but a pay to play subscription, I think you been drinking too much! :D I definitely think that they will be releasing a special edition collectors box set. They would be dumb not too, as every mmorpg now has them along with most A+ game releases.  It will probably also be released on digital downloads a couple weeks after the release is my guess.

well if they're collections edition has a better graphis package installed, a real star trek feel, and is not dumbed down for the masses, i'll get it ;)
Admiral and Commander, TDFS Vindicator

Offline Mark Robertson

• Cadet 2nd Class
    • Generations Home
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2009 09:24 PM »
It would certainly make sense to do both, with the physical box being the Collector's Edition with a Concept art book, soundtrack, and maybe another trinket or two..  It's worked well enough for WoW and other top-of-the-line MMOs, and I think players have come to expect a goodie-filled CE, as well..
Captain Mark Robertson
Lotus Fleet - Fleet Support Director

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2009 06:22 PM »
I would buy a collectors edition for sure!