Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paramount Announces It Is Interested In Video Games  (Read 1332 times)

Offline MrJuliano

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
    • STOZone
Paramount Announces It Is Interested In Video Games
« on: 04 March 2008 08:39 PM »
According to a report from MCV, Paramount Studios has announced they are interested in video games and has not ruled out the possibility of setting up it's own publishing division.

But speaking exclusively to MCV, Paramount Digitalís general manager of worldwide distribution, Alex Carloss said:

ďBroadly speaking, itís exciting to work for a company that has a portfolio that crosses film, interactive entertainment and online Ė and thatís a strength of position that [Paramount parent] Viacom certainly holds. Paramount is very, very excited about the growth in the interactive entertainment market. Iím sure youíre going to see an awful lot more from Paramount in this space.Ē

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29793/Paramount-Were-excited-about-games

Very interesting development. This could mean a brand new future for ALL of Star Trek Gaming!
<a href="http://hailingfrequency.co.uk/kinneas/swf/vip3.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://hailingfrequency.co.uk/kinneas/swf/vip3.swf</a>

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
Re: Paramount Announces It Is Interested In Video Games
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2008 08:50 PM »
So, they want to start devloping and publishing their own games...........again......Viacom Consumer Products anyone?!

Yes, i agree, its an interesting devlopment - but its not like they could do anything with Trek until 2012 - Bethesda have exclusive rights to devlop star trek games based on TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, plus the movies.

Viva la 2012!

Offline MrJuliano

• STOZone
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2008 08:51 PM »
And it's probably mostly a reaction to Warner Brothers' foray into the interactive market, but no one can deny the enormous amount of money being made by the industry. If done right, they could get a piece of that pie.
<a href="http://hailingfrequency.co.uk/kinneas/swf/vip3.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://hailingfrequency.co.uk/kinneas/swf/vip3.swf</a>

Offline Starbear

• Cadet 1st Class
  • Knight of Cydonia
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2008 09:48 PM »
You never know if they are serious about it Bethsoft may very well "sell back" the rights to CBS/Paramount.

If Bethsoft dosn't plan on using the rights they may as well get most of their money back that they used to buy them, and as such could make a deal with CBS/Paramount. One can only hope

:Constitution:-Helm, plot course for 2012

AKA: Yavin_Prime (Offical STO forums)
*Proud member of STO.net, and STO.net staff. 8th Mar 2006 - 29th Feb 2008*

Offline Nova

• Lotus Fleet
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2008 11:52 PM »
Well overall from a business perspective this isnt bad for CBS at all, although I really would have liked to have been a fly on the wall only to find out what discussions took place that prompted this news.

In addition i really do have to wonder what this means for not just Star Trek Online but also other Star Trek gaming titles.

Does CBS legally have the right to pull back there property, in order to begin development of there own games.

Does anyone have any idea what the name of the sub company to CBS that will be responcible for game development.

Offline Random Redshirt

• Hailing Frequency Donator
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2008 04:22 AM »
That wouldn't be a normal business practice. Most often, a company venturing into a new market or a new service will pick a benchmark, and move forward from that point. They don't revert old business to the new practice. I doubt that CBS would pull STO back to do themselves, but rather would say "The next Star Trek game, will be done by us!"
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline Obi3of7

• Cadet 3rd Class
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2008 11:09 PM »
Well maybe now we know why the Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012, a Star Trek Online launches :p ...lol or some variation of it.
Trece deSevin, member of Quantum of Solace (QoS) EVE Online.

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2008 11:16 PM »
I think it is the best thing that the studio could do.

They really need to consider a future series and a MMO at the same time...with the same teams.