Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bethesda Softworks have not dropped the Star Trek Gaming License  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Blackfire

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bethesda Softworks have not dropped the Star Trek Gaming License
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2009 10:23 AM »

Bethesda has dropped the ball, yet again and it's no suprise to me considering their track record lately. Sure they can make some great 'sequels', but can anyone name an original title that they have done lately that was a great success? I doubt it.  Even Oblivion had huge bug problems when it came out and still people make dissapointed comparisons between that game and elders scrolls 2. 
   Bethesda will survive but only by continually making sequel games in my opinion, until the company investors say enough is enough and demand a management change and overhaul how they do things there.  IMHO.

Offline Aizar Kel

• Cadet 1st Class
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2009 12:42 PM »
What does the inability to produce a good original title have to do with the Star Trek franchise? 

Hell, I'd like to see them do a sequel to something like say...DS9 The Fallen.  That's one that you could do with the Bethesda engine and it could be really good.  Sure there wouldn't be ship battles, but I think you can have a good game without that.

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2009 02:36 PM »
I think that at this point, Bethesda are content to allow the license to expire.  They aquired the license cheap, really cheap, back in 2005 and they have already made their money back tenfold with Legacy, Tactical Assault, Conquest and Encounters.

Unless their eyebrows get significantly raised by the success (i hope) of the new movie and STO, i doubt we will see any new official trek games until at least 2012.

Offline Acidrain

• Ensign
    • OutpostGamez
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2009 03:52 PM »
I think that at this point, Bethesda are content to allow the license to expire.  They aquired the license cheap, really cheap, back in 2005 and they have already made their money back tenfold with Legacy, Tactical Assault, Conquest and Encounters.

Unless their eyebrows get significantly raised by the success (i hope) of the new movie and STO, i doubt we will see any new official trek games until at least 2012.

Zack,

I agree with your analyst, as well look at the hell that they were put through with a certain website, podcast, mod group. I don't think they expected to receive what they did and the harshness they received. They were very unprepared in regards to the backlash they received and they didn't deal with it well. They didn't know what they had, they didn't know the community and i think if they had treated it much different and did there research perhaps things would have turned out better.

Offline tjoz_aftermath

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2009 07:50 AM »
Bethesda wont do anything gaming wise related to the new movie as the license they have does not include the new movie. They have said in the past that they wont be doing a movie tie in game as their license dont cover it.

Bethesda proved there is valuable money to be made in the home consoles market. Although just about everyone condemns them to hell and back a few times over for putting out Legacy, they proved ST can be profitable only if its pitched to the home console market. Look at STO, being developed for both PC and 360 (and potential for a PS3 version).

Legacy still sells for Bethesda, not the PC as that has been discontinued in quite a few countries as that tanked mad hard. The 360 version continues to sell and in a few markets its still full price almost 3years after it came out.

Bethesda turning away from the ST franchise isnt exactly clear cut. There have been quite a few other things that have gone on in the background that may have influenced Bethesda to do a 'f*** you all' approach. If I was Bethesda, I most likely would do the 'f*** you all' approach too lol.

Bethesda's main franchise is its own; the Elder Scrolls franchise. They got success with the Fallout franchise with Fallout 3 and have had various amounts of success with other franchises they have picked up included ST. All people think of Bethesda are RPG's, but there is also something else Bethesda are very good at and thats multi format titles.

If Bethesda ever do decide to put out another game, you can pretty much bet on it being mutli format. For Bethesda or any company to develop an ST game thats single format only would be financial suicide, especially the PC format as the gaming franchise is too varied to target a specific demographic without alienating a good majority of the rest.