Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Announcing Trekwars - A new massivley multiplayer fan game!  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
Re: Announcing Trekwars - A new massivley multiplayer fan game!
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2009 08:30 PM »
I just realized by KlogD is actually the guy that's developing TrekWars so I guess he is kind off a VIP here :)

Offline klogd

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Ensign
    • Trekwar
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2009 04:43 PM »
Supremacy and Trekwar are going to be quite different...

Supremacy:
Remake/improvement of BOTF.
Single player is possible,
minor races, trade, diplomacy, intel.

Trekwar:
Focuses on combat and strategic teamwork,
only multiplayer, small to very large games.
customizable ships, more "combat oriented" strategy.

Personally I cant wait to play Supremacy, as I was a big fan of BOTF.. And since both will be free, it's not like one has to choose ONE ;)

Post Merge: 13 February 2009 04:46 PM
I just realized by KlogD is actually the guy that's developing TrekWars so I guess he is kind off a VIP here :)

"VIP" :p

VPC more likely.. (Very Pwned Captain).. (looking forward to bridge commander thingy) :)
« Last Edit: 13 February 2009 04:46 PM by klogd »
In space, all warriors are cold warriors :)

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2009 04:48 PM »
Question:  In the screenshots - I see "Ticks" mentioned - i.e. "Tick 34" - are these like Turns? And if so, wouldnt it be more familiar to us Trek Gamers if it were renamed Turn rather than Tick?

Offline klogd

• Ensign
    • Trekwar
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2009 09:34 AM »
Question:  In the screenshots - I see "Ticks" mentioned - i.e. "Tick 34" - are these like Turns? And if so, wouldnt it be more familiar to us Trek Gamers if it were renamed Turn rather than Tick?

Yeah, turns kinda make more sense :)

Change will be visible in next screenshot (when shipdesigner has been implemented, in a week or two).

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2009 09:42 AM »
Here are some screenshots that werent in my original post:

Offline LCDR Arios Sanferi

• Cadet 2nd Class
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2009 08:03 PM »
Looks interesting...what is the time-frame on turns?  Will this be a game for casual gamer types to log in, play a few minutes, and log off?
Very Respectfully,

Arios Sanferi, LCDR, UFP

Offline klogd

• Ensign
    • Trekwar
« Reply #16 on: 16 March 2009 11:21 AM »
Looks interesting...what is the time-frame on turns?  Will this be a game for casual gamer types to log in, play a few minutes, and log off?

Turns will be 30 seconds.. or 60 seconds.. or 1 hour.. or 3 days 14 hours 6 minutes and 83 seconds:) Whatever the person hosting the server decides.

There will basically be 3 ways to play the game

Friends
You can 3-10 friends set up a server that has a agreen upon turn speed, the game is automatically saved when the server is turned off, so you can play the game when you have time, for example Wednesday evenings or weekends. This will be well suited for small groups of casual gamers

Fast open game
2-60 players play a server than runs all the time (no pause, things happen when you are logged out).  That has a fast tick speed, 1 minute - 5 minutes.

slow open game
2-500 players, turns take a long time, 2 hours, 6 hours? 24 hours?.. these games take time, and you can log in, chat up with the alliance, check ingame mail, give ships orders.. look for enemies around your planets, set starsystem productions, research and stuff like that.
This would be well suited for patient casual gamers :)

Also in addition to setting the speed, the galaxy can also be any size, which would also affect how long the game takes, and how action packed it gets.

Offline BLZBUB

• Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2009 02:34 AM »
Friends
You can 3-10 friends set up a server that has a agreed upon turn speed, the game is automatically saved when the server is turned off, so you can play the game when you have time, for example Wednesday evenings or weekends. This will be well suited for small groups of casual gamers

This sounds like the perfect venue for Fleet (guild) play. Will definitely be looking into this aspect. =)
Admiral BLZBUB,
Executive Officer; Director of Staff,
Lotus Fleet

Offline klogd

• Ensign
    • Trekwar
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2009 11:50 AM »
I just realized alpha testing will just be done on MY "official" server.

Perhaps if any fleets out there are feeling adventurous, they can alpa test, by setting up their own server and try it out.. If anyone is interested in this, please contact me (reply here, pm, mail or whatever), and say how you would like to play it (constantly running server, or running it at specific times, for example weekends, or just between 18:00 and 23:00 every day) and how many players (estimate) there will be.. Also the size of the map / desired length of the game.