Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The IGN/Gamespy Hosting Halt - It dosent just affect 1 Trek Gaming Site....  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
By Zach Nicodemous

In little under 15 hours from this post, a site that shall forever go down as one of the most thriving Star Trek Gaming Communties to ever exist, will close its doors for the final time. (www.startrek-games.com)

A number of factors have contributed to this fact, falling member activity, a lack of decent games for the franchise, but the most glaring, slap you in the face reason, is that IGN/Gamespy are shuting down their free community hosting scheme in a series of cutbacks that are occuring within their company.

However, StarTrek-Games.com is not the only site that will be affected by this shutdown and as ChessMess recently pointed out, some of the other sites do not even seem to be aware they are about to have the plug pulled.

No - I am not talking about the countless hundreds of non trek-gaming websites that are hosted by IGN/Gamespy - I am talking about websites like Klingon Academy Universe - The only website left on the internet dedicated to KA Modding, or Starfleet Universe, a website that hasnt been very active for around a year now but which still contains dozens of mods, patches, guides and of course, mod mini-sites.

With Bridge Commander Universe being recently hacked, the shutdown over a year ago now of startrek-online.net - and the pending termination within the next 15 hours of StarTrek-Games.com, Starfleet Universe, Klingon Academy Universe and Elite Force Universe - well, suffice it to say that Star Trek Gaming seems to be taking hit after hit after hit lately.....What will come next?

With that said, if you havent done so yet, please head over to StarTrek-Games.com to pay your final respects and say goodbye.

On a more positive note, I would like to remind folks out there in the community that Hailing Frequency does still offer free community hosting - so if any of the admins of BCU, KAU, SFCU or anyone else sees this message - please feel free to contact me on zach@hailingfrequency.co.uk to organise some free hosting!
« Last Edit: 20 June 2009 09:45 AM by Zach »

Offline 9thNebula

• 1000 Open Beta Key Giveaway Extravaganza
  • Ensign
  • KM Mod Team Memeber
    • Deviant Art
gah that bad news indeed!!

Though ya don't have to worry about anything related to BCU; since 2006 99% of the stuff has been moved to BCC.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2009 03:33 PM by Nebula »
KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder

Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
Good to know, I'm more concerned about Klingon Academy Universe right now, I dont know of any other places where their files are and I cant even get into their downloads to back them up atm