Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: =/\= Lotus Fleet Introduction =/\=  (Read 62689 times)

Offline Storm Windfall

• Ensign
    • Lotus Fleet
Re: =/\= Lotus Fleet Introduction =/\=
« Reply #230 on: 31 October 2009 03:51 PM »
Interview with Lt Commander Kalten, Professor of Operations Lotus Fleet Academy

Where are you from:

I'm from Ipswich, in the UK

When did you join Lotus Fleet:

31st May 2009

Favorite Star Trek series and/or movie:

I don't have a favorite series as I like a lot of all of them and all series have low points, but I recently watched Enterprise from end to end in a week or so and that kinda rocked.  Films, it has to be ST11  I'm loving the alternate universe.  In fact, it's what got me back online and looking for a guild/fleet for ST:O

Favorite Star Trek Captain: 

Picard as he was the one i watched as a young boy growing up, but Kirk is awesome too!  Picard is too cool...he is a diplomat that knows how to fight, almost genius in the way they wrote the character, but also very subtle.  Kirk is 'the man', gets all the girls and gets to beat up the bad guy...awesome! :)

Favorite Star Trek ship:

Enterprise-E Sovereign class...right before they ram it down Shinzon's throat! :)  But if you mean any vessel, not just the main ship then it has to be the Prometheus class

Favorite Star Trek character:

Oohh...so many for so many reasons....but above all...It has to be Riker...with the beard...He got cool with the beard, before he was a bit 'censored'! :)

Favorite Star Trek uniforms:

Dominion war era...like the more battle stance they give.

Which actor/character would you kick out of Star Trek:

Wesley Crusher...waste of screen space damnit!

What is the story behind your name:

Wow....now there's a question!...let me explain:  The goddess Ishta of ancient Babylon used to take on the form of a barmaid that appeared at different places looking for worthy men with whom to mate and thus produce great offspring.  She took the name Siduri and so ... the surname Siduri is taken to mean ' Son of Siduri' or 'Son of a goddess'...The Kalten part of the name is taken from a series of books that I like by David Eddings, and is a lot more to do with the fact that I like the name and not really the character at all.

In essence you can say that I am Kalten, born of man and god, a living embodiment of the essence of Ishta, queen of the Heavens.  Quite grand, no?! 

It's not much, but I designed it to fit in with the forum RP character here at Lotus Fleet.  BTW, before I continue, I use Kalten Siduri for everything online - it is my personal image to the cyber world, so you will find me in other games as well! :) But I digress...

Kalten was found on the steps of Starfleet HQ in an old wicker basket with only a single possession and a note attached.  A necklace emblem showing the sign of Ishta's holy symbol and a note written on ancient parchment that merely stated the name of the child in the basket.  As it happens there was a Starfleet personnel couple that had recently found that they could not have children and so they took the child in.  Much later in his life they told Kalten of his discovery and that he should look for his real mother with their blessing.  Kalten took it upon himself to search the galaxy for signs that his mother lived, but nowhere has he yet found anything other than long forgotten clues that have led to dead ends.  Kalten has joined Starfleet so that he might plum the deepest reaches of space as his quest continues.

What is your position in Lotus Fleet:

Currently I am a Lieutenant Commander and am the Professor of Operations in the Academy.  It is my responsibility to manually grade the Prime Directive course from year 1 in the Academy, I am also in charge of maintaining and updating several courses throughout the 4 years of the Academy.   

Do you participate in Role Play:

Yes - on Lotus Fleet I am the new XO of the USS Alsea, and outside of Lotus Fleet I am a member of 2 D&D groups and run a games club every other week for games such as Warhammer, Magic the Gathering, etc.  I am also the GM of the White Eagles, the oldest Guild in World of Warcraft (At least in Europe)

Give us your opinion of the Chain of Command in Lotus Fleet: 

It, and they Rock! :)  No further comment needed!.... I'm kidding...I have had a great relationship thus far with my chain of command. I am blessed to be a part of the Academy setup as I truly believe we have the most tight nit staff in the whole fleet.  This i think is mostly down to the way our CO runs the Academy..Athos is a great asset to this fleet! :)  To be blunt Iíve not had to deal much with the other divisions in the fleet, though those that I have come across have been great in helping me if I needed it, plus with the messages we get each week and the meetings we can download to listen, in case we missed them, everything is good!

How do you spend your time in the Fleet:

Every day or two I log onto the Academy CUI and interface with the grading system to see who needs to be graded.  That normally only takes about 10 - 30 minutes, then I normally check my messages and move onto the RP section.  Recently I have spent more time looking at the ST:O side of things as we get closer to actually getting a BETA we can play with and start to learn the ships and so on.

Is there anything you would like to change in the current structure:

My rank! :)  I'm not Captain yet! :) Lol  I am not sure we need to change anything really...it remains to be seen if we have US and Europe servers.  If so we would need two distinct units within the fleet, but other than that I feel that we're sailing in the right direction currently.

Do you have any siblings:

Yes - 2 brothers, both older than me.

Do they share your interest in Star Trek:

Not at all...have they had a passing interest, though my wife is very much into Star Trek...she is Manfa here in the Fleet! :)

What has drawn you to Lotus Fleet:

That's easy...the Academy!  No other fleet has anything anywhere near as cool as this!  I was so enamored with it that once I had passed and graduated I applied for a position as soon as i was able.  It's a great experience and it's great that we offer it to other fleets as well. 

Searching...I looked at a whole bunch of other fleets all talking about ST:O and kept on seeing references to Lotus Fleet and so checked it out - as soon as I was here Is topped looking...Iíd found my trek home! :)

What does Lotus Fleet mean to you:

As I mentioned I have been running a WoW Guild for many many years now.  I really enjoy the togetherness you get from playing with people week in week out for years.  I know some of those folks better than I do some of my friends in my own town, and like Lotus Fleet, we have members from all over (Europe).  Being in a focused Guild Fleet with like minded people gives you the chance to really enjoy what you are doing, be it WoW or Star Trek, Star Wars, or whatever.  So Lotus Fleet means 'home' to me.

Where do you see Lotus Fleet in five years:

Difficult to say.  When WoW was launched I gave it 2 years max.  I just didn't see people being interested for this long, but I was proved VERY wrong there.  5 year son and it's still going strong.  Lotus Fleet will depend a lot on what ST:O is like and if there is longevity in the game.  If there is not then the Fleet could fracture and split up as people lose interest.  However, we are more than a gaming fleet now...we have become a community and so we might very well have the strength to weather all storms that are thrown our way! :)

Where do you see yourself in five years:

Sitting in front of a better computer playing games no doubt...maybe a bit fatter too...I love food too much! :) Lol  seriously though...most likely still playing WoW and hopefully still playing ST:O! :)  And I'll certainly be a Captain then...if not an Admiral! :)

Biggest fear/phobia:   

My mind in the dark - I have an over active imagination don't like vampire films too much!  Other than that, fear of drowning and I hate spiders!

Your passion in life:

My daughter and wife!  My daughter is the best thing on this planet...no exceptions...and my wife...well...enough said! :)  And Wow...sneak that one in! SW: WHAT??? No star trek??  :O . Nope...no need...it's the unwritten rule that Trek is a part of your life...some people just don't know it - or refuse to admit it! :)

Highlight in your life:

Becoming a dad.  Lucy (my daughter) was born at 6 months and was the same weight as a small bag of sugar.  She fitted entirely into my hand from head to toe and was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen...and still is...every night I whisper to her that daddy loves her whilst she sleeps.  And every day she surprises me with something else that I will remember forever.

One thing nobody knows about you:

When I was a little younger (read almost half my age) I had long hair, all the way down to my bum!  And I was known as Jesus to my friends...!

Describe yourself in 5 words:

Passionate, caring, social, driven, hmmmm....the 5th is escaping me...I'm gonna go with...hmmm...hang on yes..Ambitious....that's the perfect word!

Do you have a motto? A quote, to share:

Yes:  Do or do not, there is no try! Also... Do not worry about that which you have no control over, and do not worry about that which you do - just sort it out!

Advice for new members:

Read the course notes....Iíve had to grade down too many that have not bothered to read the orientation and the notes with the courses!

Your definition of leadership:

Do what Kalten tells you to do and he wonít whip you! ;)  Seriously... Leaders should coach those they lead, you should be the example for which others can follow.  Treat all that serve you as equals amongst their station and take note of their needs and desires.  If you do all this you cannot fail.
Fleet Captain Storm Windfall
Newsletter Editor
Lotus Fleet
http://www.lotusfleet.org/

Ellif

« Reply #231 on: 02 November 2009 11:49 AM »

Leaders should coach those they lead, you should be the example for which others can follow.  Treat all that serve you as equals amongst their station and take note of their needs and desires.  If you do all this you cannot fail.

Brilliant advice

Offline Storm Windfall

• Ensign
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #232 on: 03 November 2009 11:50 AM »

Leaders should coach those they lead, you should be the example for which others can follow.  Treat all that serve you as equals amongst their station and take note of their needs and desires.  If you do all this you cannot fail.

Brilliant advice

One of the most honest interviews I conducted.  :)
Newsletter Editor
Lotus Fleet

Offline Nimue

• Ensign
    • Unicorn Fleet
« Reply #233 on: 04 November 2009 05:01 PM »

Brilliant advice

One of the most honest interviews I conducted.  :)

He's special.
I know I should not say such a thing, but despite being so silent he's one of my favorite professors. Silent and hard working.

I'm actually sorry for not trying harder to get to know him better! That quote... uh - I'll have to send them (Professors) a letter and actually SAY how much I appreciate their hard work, how much it makes my life easier!
Life, not worth writing about, is not worth living!

Offline Storm Windfall

• Ensign
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #234 on: 05 November 2009 02:12 PM »
Interview with PO3C Jerik, Lotus Fleet Task Force

Where are you from:

Sunnyvale, Texas, USA

12 July 2009

Favorite Series has to be TNG, no other is as great. My favorite Movie is Generations.

Jean Luc Picard.  He was an inspiring leader, and always tried to resolve a conflict with words first, aggression second. He followed regulations to a fault, but would put them aside if a crewmembers safety was concerned.

Favorite Star Trek ship:

The Voyager. That little ship went through more hell than Dante, but persevered to get its crew home. A good mix of science and firepower helped it on its journey.

Commander Riker. He is a young sometimes brash commander that isnít afraid to voice his opinion against an older senior officer. At times, his youth and perspective on situations would guide his commanding officer to a decision with a better outcome than the alternative.

Has got to be the original series uniforms. Those things always seemed to just rip right off of Kirk!

Hmmm. I guess the only person I have that much of a problem with is Wesley. He is the classic "Iím too smart for my own good" character. Not that him being smart was the problem, but his lack of maturity and understanding of adult responsibilities made it hard for him to fit in to the strict Starfleet atmosphere.

Jerik came from Jericho, the old city that god crushed with his wrath. I chose it because even if you donít believe in religion per se, itís always good to respect something with power, be it man, machine, or entity.

I do not, only because Iím often intimidated by others experience and my lack of.

The chain of command is pretty well established. Officers usually donít have the high and mighty attitude one usually finds in guilds like these. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right officer for a certain situation, but everyone is more than happy to help point you in the right direction.

How do you spend your time in the Fleet:

For most of my time here I was a cadet trying to get through the academy because of time restrictions, and I just recently graduated. I try to find topics of interest and throw in my opinion wherever appropriate. Also trying to get to know members through the shoutbox.

Iím actually quite impressed with the current setup given the amount of members. I am having a problem getting my team speak to work correctly, a big deal when trying to get points for promotions.

Yes, an older brother by 5 years or so.  Also a huge Star Trek fan. He got me into the whole thing by making me watch Voyager when I was growing up.

Does he share your interest in Star Trek:

Oh ya, he and my dad stayed home with me as a baby while TNG was first premiering. It was allll downhill from there.

I kept hearing about your academy from all over the forums. It is literally the infamy of all other fleets. I was a skeptic who decided to check it out for laughs, found my way to the extensive forums and large ACTIVE member list and was registered within minutes. Great members, awesome setup. Truly a Star Trek Fleet.

Lotus Fleet means many things to me. Itís a place to share ideas and form new friends with similar interests. I can always expect to get the most up to date info on STO, and am amazed by others knowledge about Star Trek. And I also enjoy the idea of being a Starfleet officer in the 21'st century.

Hopefully, I see the Fleet as the largest fleet within STO, and also one of the Biggest Star Trek fan sites on the web. Even if STO bombs, I can still see Lotus Fleet staying around as a big part of the Star Trek community.

I see myself as still a part of the fleet, graduated from college and on my way to Law school. A little older, a little wiser, but hopefully the same person I am today.

Biggest fear/phobia:

I am actually afraid of heights. This is weird considering I have my pilotís license. I can fly a plane all day long with no trouble, but put me in a building on floor 6 and higher and I start freaking out.

Your passion in life:

I am passionate about society and the rules that people impose upon themselves. There can be no society without order, and no order without law. Understanding how people work with each other and how societies decide to protect themselves is amazingly interesting to me, and this is why I intend to attend law school in the next few years.

Highlight in your life:

Definitely when I traveled to Japan and stayed with a family. It was so exhilarating to be among different culture and language. Just imagine how different all of the English speaking countries are, and multiply that by 1000! Living with another culture and learning how they live can cast perspective on yourself, and that definitely happened to me.

I have my tongue pierced. Most people wouldnít expect that from a Star Trek fan.

Young, intelligent, outgoing, but hot-headed.

Just go for it!

Advice for new members:

Donít be overwhelmed! With the academy, extensive forums and chain of command, Lotus Fleet can be a bit daunting at first. Just relax, explore, and ease into it. After all, youíre surrounded by Star Trek fans like yourself!

What is your definition of Leadership:

Leadership is leading a group through experience and knowledge. You cannot lead from behind, so the best leader is the one out on the front doing no less than he/she is asking of his followers.

Define Communication:

The accurate and successful exchanging/distribution of information from an informed source to those whom want the information or would benefit from it.

Did you ever experience bad and/or rude attitudes/reactions to comments and opinions you made?

No, actually whenever Iím incorrect about something people arenít like " your wrong you *&%$@#@$#^" Iíve had that happen before elsewhere. People here are very respectful.
Newsletter Editor
Lotus Fleet

Ellif

« Reply #235 on: 06 November 2009 11:47 AM »
Boo!  are you happy now?

Offline Storm Windfall

• Ensign
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #236 on: 06 November 2009 11:49 AM »
Interview with Commander Kyran Calderwood, Graphics Artist Lotus Fleet

Where are you from:

Northampton, England

27 January 2009

Series: Voyager
Movie: First Contact
Ooodles of awesomeness there.

Janeway, Though Picards' a very close second, what can I say Tough Chicks are wesome.

Favorite Star Trek ship:

Galaxy class, sheís a thing of beauty for something that size

Hmm, it would have to be either Data or Jadzia Dax, Data - Sheer hilarity at times, Brent played the part really well, and the laugh from that Q episode, Jadzia - Flirty, Smart and always up for a laugh, I was sad she was killed, but her 6 season run was amazing!

First Contact/DS9 - The simple black and gray with a highlight of color, shows a time of war but still a little bit of the peaceful side of the fed.

What makes you a Trekkie:

It would have to be the ongoing idea that this could be the outlook of our future, and I'm sure I haven't watched every episode yet!, so although its over it'll still be new to me.

Letís see:  TNG: Wesley. DS9: Rom. Voy: Kes/Neelix - Yes both of them. ENT: The Maco leader guy (forgot his name) the one that was a jerk to Reed. TOS: Harry Mudd.
That would be a large shuttle :D

Itís my real life last name, yet everyone tries to shorten it, itís said as Colderwood, but when you say Cal or Calder, you say it with an "A", which is rather insulting to my heritage.

What is your position in the Fleet:

Chief Fleet graphics artist, Commander

Yep, you speaking with Lieutenant Calderwood Kyran, Bajoran Chief engineer of the finest ship in the fleet, the USS Alsea, and yes i crashed it into a planet!

Itís a shiny pretty chain?  Itís a pretty well structured chain. Youíre always informed as to who's where and who's there to help you, and a lot of the time the person helping you is extremely friendly.

How do you spend your time within the Fleet:

I spend it at warp 9.995, getting projects and new developments sorted and organized along with the rest of my department, making sure the processes are smoothed out and everyone knows how to do it with little or no difficulty.

Not at this moment in time :)

Yes one older brother.

Nope.

If you have a question, or have doubts or issues, where would you take it:

Spawnner, who is the Executive officer of Operations division, thatís if itís a Ops related thing. If itís a general question like "Oh where can I get this..." or something I would either ask one of the many fine officers in the fleet or the shoutbox.

I was walking down the street and then the next thing i knew I was being abducted in a shuttle craft :D *he says still chained to the desk*

Actually it started near the end of December 08, I was thinking I might wanna look into getting into a fleet for STO, and I looked around and LF had the most promise for me, whilst in there a contest for new signatures was held and onward from there I became and LF Graphics artist.

Lotus fleet to me means a lot, itís like one large family under one Starbase, we have our lovely mummy, and the admirals although their not blood related they seem like brothers and sisters at time, and we all get on well meeting new people who also enjoy Star Trek.

Developing diplomatic channels with in STO and being one of the finest fleets in the game, patrolling the new neutral zone and kicking Klingon aft while the science ships explore new worlds and we expand even further on our forums.

Still working for Lotus Fleet and enjoying the game to its fullest, oh and being a professional panda breeder.

Biggest fear/phobia:

Dying alone .___.

Your passion in life:

Graphical design, art and CGI.  Itís what I live for, I live to make the world again in my work.

Highlight in your life:

Err the announcement that this game is back on?!, I heard about it a week before Perpetual lost the IP.

I'm actually partially blind in one eye, Weird that I'm a graphics artist eh?  Most things in that eye is a blur.

Polite, Artistic, understanding, Cuddly, All-around-Nice-guy :D

Never. Grow. UP.

Youíre never too old to enjoy anything!

Advice for new members:

Ask questions in the shoutbox, Call me by my full name or else, just try being polite, and we'll be able to help you 9/10 times!

Your definition of Leadership:

Admiral Nova, The way he runs the show is amazing, he always knows what to do and say, or able to offer a compromise when needed.

Define Communication:

Always there for one another, and able to answer questions for when need be.
Newsletter Editor
Lotus Fleet

Offline Storm Windfall

• Ensign
    • Lotus Fleet
Re: =/\\= Lotus Fleet Introduction =/\\=
« Reply #237 on: 09 November 2009 02:16 PM »
"Over the years I have developed a picture of what a human
being living humanely is like. She is a person who
understands, values and develops her body, finding it
beautiful and useful; a person who is real and is willing to
take risks, to be creative, to manifest competence, to change
when the situation calls for it, and to find ways to
accommodate to what is new and different, keeping that part of
the old that is still useful and discarding what is not."

-- Virginia Satir

Post Merge: 10 November 2009 10:10 AM
Interview with Captain Reafis, Fleet Activities Director Lotus Fleet

Where are you from:

A small village near Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom

30th January 2009

Favorite Series is DS9 and favorite move is the Wrath of Kahn.

Hmm tough one, I'd say Sisko. Because whilst he's still a traditional Starfleet captain and happier resolving conflicts he is also one hell of a strategist plus he's also a religious icon which must be a heck of a thing to live with but somehow he juggles all that and still raises his son on his own.

Favorite Star Trek ship:

Strangely the Miranda class (seen in Wrath of Kahn) because itís different to most other ships. Itís a good design and itís gone on longer than even the constitution class, as it appeared in DS9's final battles.

Elim Garek definitely, because he's incredibly intelligent, devious and sarcastic but at the same time he's an outcast and very likeable compared to most Cardassians.

The older style seen from Wrath of Kahn onwards right up until generations. Its soo much smarter than any other uniform and fitting of the ships that the people wearing it are on. Even the non-officer uniforms are smarter than anything modern.

Hmm.. Probably Data (controversial) because ever since the latter seasons of the TNG and ALL the movies, Data was too much a central character. Other good ones like Geordi, Riker and Worf are sidelined for parts that donít always fit who they were.

Reafis is the surname to Jarrel Reafis, a 5 year veteran of the MMO Starwars Galaxies. Itís a name I just came up with, it doesnít have an origin as such except my imagination. I've used it a lot over the years and itís become my internet alter ego.

I have participated in role play aboard the USS McKenzie (Science Officer) and Starbase 10 (Captain) I am currently the Fleet Activities Director doubling as the RP Admin who has the responsibility of driving the RP, Improving it, making it fun and maintaining the rules that go with it. I am currently working on a "movie mission" for all the ships which I hope to launch soon (after approval). All other details on that are secret.

What is your position in Lotus Fleet:

My current position is Fleet Activities Director with the rank of Captain. I run events, so I liaise with the coordinators to organize various types of events, both gaming and non gaming to ensure we are running events both within the fleet and outside between other fleets. I also double as the RP Administrator, whose duties include maintaining the RP Ships crews, novelizing their missions, liaising with the RP Captains, ensuring members are rewarded for missions, improving the RP, dealing with issues and many many more things.

The Chain of Command works really well in Lotus Fleet. Even if your direct superior isnít available or on leave you can always contact the next person up the chain. LF Officers in any division are always willing to listen to your ideas and questions. Itís what sets us aside from most other "guilds".

How do you spend your time within the Fleet:

Well, aside from general shout box amusement, I hang out in team speak (when I can) I play with a few in Champions Online and I have played a lot of Armada 2 and BC With members in the past and baiting a certain Klingon Woman with chocolate.

No I donít think so, it seems to work very well at the moment. In the RP Admin I would like to sort out the grey area on inactive RPers who arenít on leave, but thatís something I will discuss within the FAD soon. RP Wise I am making my own changes, so watch this space for new things coming soon!

Yes I have a younger brother who's finished University and now lives away.

To an extent yeah, but he's more into some star trek gaming particularly the sublime if buggy Birth of the Federation.

The community, pure and simple. A lot of great and amusing people. And Andorian female twins :D.  I stumbled across Lotus Fleet from discovering Hailing Frequencies. I followed the link and was amazed at the Academy. After that I was drawn in big time.

Its more than just a guild, itís a group of really nice people who like Star Trek. A lot of good friends here and I canít wait to see the incredible things we'll do in STO. Itís more a community than a guild.

Hopefully above Quo'nos (Klingon Homeworld) negotiating a peace treaty with the Klingon Empire whilst helping rebuilt the Cardassian and Romulan Empire in STO.

Hopefully serving in the Royal Navy as a submariner (hopefully still in Lotus Fleet as well, and as active as I can be).

Biggest fear/phobia:

Spiders for definite, used to hate heights and lightning but I donít have issue with either of those now. Spiders are not natural and are not from this planet I swear.

Your passion in life:

Helping others as much as I can and making people laugh.

Highlight in your life:

Having great parents who are a great laugh but supportive at the same time.

I have a big interest in UFOs, the paranormal and ancient history.

Sarcastic, humorous, witty, intelligent and helpful.

A quote from Grand Admiral Thrawn (The greatest Star Wars character ever) "An error is not a mistake till you refuse to correct it".

Advice for new members:

Donít feed the Klingon.  And always be yourself, never be afraid to ask what you think is a stupid question.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2009 10:10 AM by Storm Windfall »
Newsletter Editor
Lotus Fleet

Ellif

« Reply #238 on: 13 November 2009 12:13 PM »
Leadership is like parenthood: encourage, support, nurture and lay down clear boundaries. Give them an example to look up to but never out of reach. Always be ready to listen and advise but never make the choices for them.

Above all else, never turn your back on them, and never fail to respect them

Offline Storm Windfall

• Ensign
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #239 on: 13 November 2009 09:20 PM »

"Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of
holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to
an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to
abolish misery from their future and crimes from society."

-- Benjamin Franklin