Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SFC series Lead designer: Erik Bethke ponders making Star Trek:Online  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
If there is one thing we in the community have done for at least three years now is run projections on the number of subscribers that Star Trek:Online will get.

In one of Mr. Bethke's latest blogs he does his own thinking about Star Trek:online and starts running his own projections.

ERIK BETHKE's BLOG on ST:O http://erikbethke.livejournal.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initially I find his numbers to be way low compared to ours which are closer to 1 million.  We predicted if the MMO and film launched close to each other the number worldwide could be much higher.

This reader feels it is a mistake to release a game for free and pass on the box sales that could pay the whole development investment off in a day or week. If paper, printing and shipping is too much...distribute it through STEAM or a download service but still charge for the box price. Do not be apologetic about it. That is the way it is.  Star Trek is a 'historic property'.

Taldren and those in charge of Star Trek gaming always want to give it away and prior to SFC3 when the idea of subscription service charges for Dynaverse was suggested to move towards a MMO it was shot down.

Had they gone with the subscription model...before MMO's...this community would 'already' have A tripple A MMO.

Enough on that...

Pushing Trek gamers for $20.00 a month:  No, sir.  No thank you.  Trek gaming is still not all that and based on his proposal to lauch it will still take time.  To ensure longevity, keep it on par with the market. 

Micro-transactions: If that is what you want. I have no problem with it.   Another revenue stream.

Second Phase:  HUBS and planets and more revenue streams (Microtransactions/Branded Items).  People like stuff for their creations, and as Mr. Bethke has pointed out in the past, not a lot of folks like creating content.   In the Second Phase he can work with groups who can provide branded and non-branded content to users to fill their dwellings and the landscapes.

On a 5 Million dollar budget:  If Mr. Bethke says he can do it for 5...I believe him.   SFC is already a finished product that still needs serious tweaking and a graphics overhaul...but not much more to actually make it a viable candidate for a ST:MMO.  (( It was announced yesterday that SFC4 is now in development)

This reader would suggest to him the idea contacting D.A.R.P.A and NASA to increase funding, contacting J.J. Abrams 'Bad Robot' and propose SFC4 as the game for Star Trek X1 and make money towards the initiall MMO that way.   To contact CBS and become friends, to contact IBM and talk Blades and about what a Blue Gen could do for Trek gaming over the next 20 years.

Anyway. Is Bethke back in the history making game!?
I'll try and find out!

--Kinn

Add edit Kinneas:  Dynaverse.net  says: "No.  Erik Bethke is not involved at all with the development of SFC4.  Also.  There is no 'mastermind behind SFC4"  (To answer my pondering if any other groups like Quicksilver, Paramount, CBS could be involved).

« Last Edit: 23 May 2008 08:31 PM by Kinneas »

Offline Falin

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Fleet Grand Admiral, Tholian Defense Forces

well if so, i hope he hires someone who knows how to run a company this time, otherwise we'll just have STO going the way of Taldren. Oh and maybe this time they'll listen to their inner circle players.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2008 11:08 AM by Falin »
Admiral and Commander, TDFS Vindicator

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!

Well if so, i hope he hires someone who knows how to run a company this time, otherwise we'll just have STO going the way of Taldren. Oh and maybe this time they'll listen to their inner circle players.

: crosses fingers :
I've never been much of an insider, though I support most everything you inner circle and ex inner circle folks have wanted. It is the game that changed everything for me and if you want to make it better and they have the means...Godspeed making up time for a lost decade.

It is wild to speculate on folks like ADB, IBM, Sony, Bethke and Dynaverse teaming up. 

I feel they would get way more than Mr. B suggests.  But I have always been optimistic in my prediction for subscribers.

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
Hmmmm.

Bethke is asking for investors too.

I have to be a bit worried thinking about what happens if he and ADB hook up and launch one before Cryptic (If Cryptic is truly launching as the countdown timer on their site indicates)!