Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Updated: Star Trek Games (STGU) Closes Down for Refit  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
In a time where the Star Trek Gaming Community is quiet, you would expect that the various dedicated websites out there would be doing all that they can to promote the Star Trek Gaming Franchise and encourage activity, and after disappearing two months ago, Star Trek Games Head Administrator, ChessMess, remerged yesterday and announced that the website would be undergoing a refit.

There was wide spread confusion at first, as the initial post made by ChessMess seemed to indicate that the entire site was being shut down due to a  post in his "Community Suggestions and Support" forum, where several dozen STGU visitors were protesting a large "Salt Vampire" image that appears at the top of the forum whenever a user has not posted for four weeks.

Most people found this warning highly irritating and had banded together to request its deactivation.

In the original statement on the front page of Star Trek Games, ChessMess said:

Quote from: ChessMess
It has come to my attention that many are unhappy the way the forum attempts to encourage a more active community. Given that few post in our forums anyway there isn't much incentive to keep them open, thus we are closing the forums for now.

This has now been amended as follows:

Quote from: ChessMess
Despite rumors to the contrary this site isn't closing down. Sadly some have chosen to be insulting and opportunistic around the decision to temporarily close the forums. So let me be perfectly clear, no where did I say "The site is closed", so anyone who says differently is jumping to conclusions or has some other motive.

Now with that clear let me address what my message is suppose to mean. More astute observers noted the "for now" part of the forum closing message. My intention was to make some serious changes in the forum and given that we are in a low period of activity there isn't much incentive to keep them online while I do it. I wasn't sure how long it would take so I left it open ended.

Unfortunately given that so much of the site is tied into the forums this had the rather bad effect of practically shutting down the entire site. I didn't realize this at first because as an admin the site displays normally for me. Anyway I've turned everything back on but some things are a bit askew given that I have disabled some mods and other various changes.

Anyway all that is boring, lets talk future. The site is going to undergo some major changes. I've been putting them off because I prefer the 'Big Reveal' approach like the caterpillar that disappears and emerges complete and glorious in its new form.

Following that route requires some serious investment of time in order to minimize the phase where everyone is looking at the chrysalis and wondering what in the world is going on in there. At this point that is something that I don't have large quantities of, so I'm going to be doing the changes in the clear. That means that parts of the site will break or be of no apparent value for awhile (maybe a day, maybe a month). One part of the site may look totally different from another, and so on.

As we undergo structural and functional changes, we will also be changing how the site communicates things and what it communicates. My best advice to you is hang in there and roll with the changes, or just go out and enjoy the summer and check back in the fall.

Hailing Frequency is releived to have had clarification regarding the fate of the STGU, and we look forward to its return later this year.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2008 10:39 AM by Zach Nicodemous »

Offline Kinneas

• Illustrator/Designer
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • Howdy, folks!
Re: Star Trek Games (STGU) Closes Down!
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2008 11:37 AM »
People need to chill. I found it funny when I got my Salty pic.

His closing statement is open ended and we could see ChessMess come back at any time.

There are so many exciting things out there here could also be doing right now.

Anyway he is always full of surprises.

See ya soon, Chess.

Offline BLZBUB

• Hailing Frequency Donator
  • Lieutenant Commander
  • USS Betelgeuse
    • Lotus Fleet
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2008 01:08 AM »
 I was not a large poster over there, but I browsed ChessMess's site frequently. It is a shame he decided to follow this route.
 And I agree with you Kinneas...I enjoyed the Vampire immensely.

Edit:

Following Pestalence XC's post in the shout-box, I actually logged in to StarTrek-Games and found ChessMess' post ... to whit:

Despite rumors to the contrary this site isn't closing down. Sadly some have chosen to be insulting and opportunistic around the decision to temporarily close the forums. So let me be perfectly clear, no where did I say "The site is closed", so anyone who says differently is jumping to conclusions or has some other motive.

Now with that clear let me address what my message is suppose to mean. More astute observers noted the "for now" part of the forum closing message. My intention was to make some serious changes in the forum and given that we are in a low period of activity there isn't much incentive to keep them online while I do it. I wasn't sure how long it would take so I left it open ended.

Unfortunately given that so much of the site is tied into the forums this had the rather bad effect of practically shutting down the entire site. I didn't realize this at first because as an admin the site displays normally for me. Anyway I've turned everything back on but some things are a bit askew given that I have disabled some mods and other various changes.

Anyway all that is boring, lets talk future. The site is going to undergo some major changes. I've been putting them off because I prefer the 'Big Reveal' approach like the caterpillar that disappears and emerges complete and glorious.

Following that route requires some serious investment of time in order to minimize the phase where everyone is looking at the chrysalis and wondering what in the world is going on in there. At this point that is something that I don't have large quantities of, so I'm going to be doing the changes in the clear. That means that parts of the site will break or be of no apparent value for awhile (maybe a day, maybe a month). One part of the site may look totally different from another, and so on.

As we undergo structural and functional changes, we will also be changing how the site communicates things and what it communicates. My best advice to you is, hang in there and roll with the changes, or just go out and enjoy the summer and check back in the fall.

So, breathe a big sigh of relief folks, we still have StarTrek-Games.com to help keep us informed on things Star Trek... along with HailingFrequency of course.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2008 04:11 AM by BLZBUB »
Admiral BLZBUB,
Executive Officer; Director of Staff,
Lotus Fleet

Offline Admiral of Starfleet

• STO Trivia Competition #2 Winner
  • Lieutenant Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2008 01:56 AM »
Well at least the whole site didn't close down and the new message says the forums closure is only temporary.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• Cadet 4th Class
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2008 03:04 AM »
Read the Star Trek Games front page.. Chess is open again

http://startrek-games.com/

Demise of STGU was premature.

Offline Sarevok

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
  • Aries Fleet XO
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2008 09:14 AM »
Uhm... that link doesn't work for me...

Offline Zach

• President
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2008 10:34 AM »
Thats a relief for sure! I logged onto STGU yesterday and saw that message and was quite alarmed! Thank god he posted that elaboriation,